Whatbird Community

Flight call, Western MA

Just heard a flight call that I'm having trouble with.  It sounded very finchy but I can't actually come up with a match in the Fringillidae, which leaves me confused.  Here is the description I wrote down:

A single call every 0.7s in flight, with one double call (though it sounded like possibly two birds).  About an octave lower than a goldfinch flight call, and quite burry/buzzy.  The calls reminded me of goldfinch calls in attack and structure (besides the burriness).

Thanks!

TKbird

24 minutes ago, Avery said:

Maybe a crossbill, or an irruption species?

2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Try Evening Grosbeak or Purple Finch.

Thanks for the suggestions.  That's all I can come up with idea-wise, but Red Crossbills and other likely irrupter EVGR are both Fringillidae (along with PUFI)!  I've ruled out each bird in that family unless I'm missing something. ?

Did you search Macaulay for recordings of those species? I normally use my Audubon app for quick access to sounds, but that doesn't always suffice. I actually posted last week with a very similar question to yours, and using Macaulay I figured out that it was a PIGR, a bird I had ruled out by the sounds I had heard on the Audubon app.

• Like 1

Gonna throw in American Pipit again like I did when Avery asked... have to be right eventually ?

Yeah if you go to Macaulay library and choose your region and look through the sounds there you’re better off getting a more accurate idea. I’ve found, like Avery, that often the holotype sounds don’t quite sound the same as the regional ones. 

• Like 1