Whatbird Community
Frugalbirders

Two hummingbirds near Quito Ecuador

I feel the back shot one is a Sparkling Violetear, but never got a good look at the breast. Not too many have that thin blue line extending so far around the neck.

Is it possible that these are both the same species?

Unk Hummingbird 060609 mitad wb.jpg

Unk Hummingbird 060609 quito wb.jpg

I've never seen a Sparkling Violetear, but the face pattern, tail coloration and pattern, and GISS are similar to Mexican (Green) Violetear, which I'm very familiar with; they are at my feeders every day this time of year. I do think they could be the same species, but I'm not familiar with the species there.

The most common violetear in Quito is Sparkling, with Lesser (split from Green) seen but not as commonly as Sparkling. The blue patch on the belly definitely fits Sparkling better than Lesser, and so I would imagine that the second image is a Sparkling Violetear as well. 

Oddly enough, the Green Violet-ears in Mexico resemble the Sparkling Violet-ears in Ecuador, with the blue patch on the chest. The Lesser Violet-ears in Ecuador lack the blue chest patch.