Whatbird Community

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle x Audubon's)?

Just wondering people's thoughts on this YRWA. I would say it appears like a good candidate for S.c.auduboni, but to my eyes, the ear surround seems significant enough to wonder about an intergrade. Additionally, the throat is fairly white with some faint hints of yellow, versus pale throat of a pure auduboni (I realize the amount of yellow is highly variable in fall females/immatures). There seems to be some S.c.coronota influence here but I would love to hear what others think. Thanks.

Yellow-rumped Warbler 11:13:20.jpg

Yellow-rumped Warbler(2) 11:13:20.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

I see your points and tentatively agree, though the bird is mostly AUWA if it is an intergrade. Given your comments, you probably know all this, but for those that don't, see here.

Thanks Tony. I once read that most Myrtle x Audubon's are identified in photos versus the field, and that's definitely the case with this bird. I agree that this bird likely has minimal Myrtle influence, and I'll probably leave it unidentified to ssp. (in eBird anyways), but found it interesting enough to post here. Cheers!

43 minutes ago, DLecy said:

I once read that most Myrtle x Audubon's are identified in photos versus the field, and that's definitely the case with this bird.

That is certainly true for a bird like that. However, intergrades are of regular occurrence in eastern Colorado, primarily during migration, and a majority are identified as such in the field. However, I have found >10 such photographed occurrences in the CO eBird data that were reported as one or the other of the subspecies.

eBird intergrade map -- Lower 48

same map, but showing checklists with media

3 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

That is certainly true for a bird like that. However, intergrades are of regular occurrence in eastern Colorado, primarily during migration, and a majority are identified as such in the field. However, I have found >10 such photographed occurrences in the CO eBird data that were reported as one or the other of the subspecies.

eBird intergrade map -- Lower 48

same map, but showing checklists with media

Thanks again Tony. Eastern Colorado sure seems to be ground zero for studying hybrids and intergrades of many species. I wish I had more opportunity to practice out here in the Bay Area (with maybe gulls as the exception). I actually grew up in Boulder but didn't become a birder, sadly, until after moving to CA years ago.

I did a media search similar to the one you linked, except I filtered the months Nov.-Dec. to avoid looking at birds in breeding plumage. I did one for Myrtle, one for Audubon's, and one for Myrtle x Audubon's, and I must say, to your point, I definitely found examples of likely intergrades that were reported as pure ssp. Fun stuff!