Whatbird Community

Your Favorite Bird of The Day!!

IKLland

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's been a Yellow-rumped hanging out in my yard all winter.  He's distinctive, with an off-center black spot on his left breast and a black half-necklace.  Spot thinks he owns the yard and feeders, and has aggressively defended them.  Other YRWA, other warblers, kinglets, titmice, nuthatches, chickadees; anything that eats peanuts, suet, or mealworms are subject to his wrath.  He tries intimidating wrens and bluebirds but they look at him with contempt and then resume feeding.

YRWAs usually abandon the yard in the spring and Spot will be moving on soon, but he's been an entertaining if pushy guest this winter.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

There's been a Yellow-rumped hanging out in my yard all winter. 

For most of the winter, I'd rarely see more than two YRWA at a time: 'Spot' and whoever dared to pass through looking for a meal.  Now I'm in a YRWA convention center.  They're on the move, and winter resident 'Spot' has relaxed and stopped trying to monopolize the back yard.  Two days ago I counted six, and yesterday I listed eight (and that may have been a low count).  There were never less than three at a time, and they were often at least half of the total number of birds moving around.  There's so many of them, and they're so active, that it's difficult to tell what's moving between the trees that ISN'T a Butter-butt.

Life is GOOOOOD.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 3:59 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

it's difficult to tell what's moving between the trees that ISN'T a Butter-butt.

This is how it is everywhere here in winter…so much so that they get annoying after the first few weeks 

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...