Whatbird Community

Fox Sparrow

Yes, to your question, this is a Fox Sparrow in the Sooty "group." I'm not sure if you were asking specifically to ID to the subspecies level in your post, but if you were, just note that without pictures of the bird's wings and back, ID'ing to one of the 6 subspecies in the Sooty group can be difficult. 

Where was this photo taken? That will help with ID. For example, here in the Bay Area, annectens is the presumed ssp.

Here is a good read on Fox Sparrow subspecies.

2 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

range and probability are not the best way to id to subspecies for example unalaschcensis townsendi fuliginosa annectens insularis sinuosa chilcatensis Sooty megarhyncha monoensis brevicauda and possibly mariposae Thick-billed can all be found in the bay area  

I have to disagree and side with @DLecy on this one. First, he was talking specifically about Sooty Fox Sparrow, obviously you wouldn't just use range and say it must be annectens when it's obviously part of another subspecies group. 90% of the wintering Fox Sparrow I see in the Bay Area are the Rudy backed annectens. In migration and a little in winter I do get some sinuosa, but those are distinctly different from the normal annectens. I believe you can use range and probability to ID Sooty Fox Sparrows in the Bay Area, and also other parts of the West Coast. I also find it interesting that you chose subspecies like monoensis which aren't ever going to get to the Bay Area, and left out any in the Slate-colored Group, which I had one of today. 

In The Bay Area in the winter there are a few subspecies that will winter.

Sooty

Annectens

Sinousa

Thick-billed

Thick-billed winter in the Bay Area if you know where to go, for example I had 7 today

IMG_7772.jpeg.7ba46babb9b48bc4e4b810f3c4a3faa0.jpeg

They are either Bervicauda or Megarhyncha, I'll need to get better photos to get it down to ssp, but once eBird is back up I know some people had a few good photos up.

Slate-colored

Not many photos are available of them in the Bay Area, but I presumer they are mostly Schistacea and Altivagans

Red

Red Fox Sparrows are almost certainly Zaboria

• Like 1