Whatbird Community

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Orange Co. is outside the normal range of Steller's Jays.  They prefer areas with heavy forests at higher altitudes.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Stellers_Jay/overview

You can try attracting some of the other members of the Corvid family (jays, crows, etc).  Many of them will come to suet and peanuts.  You should be able to get California Scrub-Jays.  Suet and peanuts will also attract other interesting species - woodpeckers, warblers, wrens, nuthatches, grackles, etc.

Remember, it often takes a few weeks for birds to discover new feeders.  Only fill your feeders about halfway full (or less) until the birds catch on.  If they don't find the seed after a week, dump it and put in fresh seed.  It will also help if you scatter a bit of seed on the ground under the feeders.  Be patient; they'll find a free meal!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Orange Co. is outside the normal range of Steller's Jays.  They prefer areas with heavy forests at higher altitudes.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Stellers_Jay/overview

You can try attracting some of the other members of the Corvid family (jays, crows, etc).  Many of them will come to suet and peanuts.  You should be able to get California Scrub-Jays.  Suet and peanuts will also attract other interesting species - woodpeckers, warblers, wrens, nuthatches, grackles, etc.

Remember, it often takes a few weeks for birds to discover new feeders.  Only fill your feeders about halfway full (or less) until the birds catch on.  If they don't find the seed after a week, dump it and put in fresh seed.  It will also help if you scatter a bit of seed on the ground under the feeders.  Be patient; they'll find a free meal!

Thanks so much, I have a black oil sunflower seed pack with a tube feeder and some other seeds with a hopper feeder coming next week. I just put out my suet feeder like a min ago, it came today . I will let you know what happens and if I need more help. 
thanks @Charlie Spencer

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IKLland said:

Thanks so much, I have a black oil sunflower seed pack with a tube feeder and some other seeds with a hopper feeder coming next week. I just put out my suet feeder like a min ago, it came today . I will let you know what happens and if I need more help. 
thanks @Charlie Spencer

Scrub Jays (And Steller's) Both come to the suet at my house. They also like peanuts.

• Like 1

They enjoy nuts, especially peanuts–whole or already shelled. They also like common birds feed like suet, cracked corn, and black oil sunflower seeds. However, because of their size, they will need to feed on a platform feeder or a large tray.

2 hours ago, Lucas12 said:

They enjoy nuts, especially peanuts–whole or already shelled. They also like common birds feed like suet, cracked corn, and black oil sunflower seeds. However, because of their size, they will need to feed on a platform feeder or a large tray.

Thanks 

I have suet now and am getting my seed feeders in a few days, one of the seeds is black oil sunflower