Whatbird Community

How you got your profile picture

I thought this topic would be fun because I'm sure many people have interesting stories behind their profile pics. Here's mine:

My dad and I decided to go birding at Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge one day on our trip to south TX last Febuary. We got there about mid-morning so dad was preparing lunch in the car. I decided to explore a little. I went around the visitor center (where there were some birdfeeders) and found a couple of Green Jays (big lifer!!). I took some photos and ran back to the car. I told dad I had already taken some pictures and asked if he would like to see them. He agreed, and this is what he saw:

DSCN0847.thumb.JPG.3611759374f5845057c206923b13565f.JPG

We were both ecstatic at seeing such a cool bird!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BirdNrd said:

I usually just put in pictures that are good quality.

yeah, I know, but I like to hear the stories behind the pictures as well. You have changed your profile pic so much that "oh, @BirdNrd changed his profile picture again" is becoming a common phrase in my home! :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Seanbirds said:

yeah, I know, but I like to hear the stories behind the pictures as well. You have changed your profile pic so much that "oh, @BirdNrd changed his profile picture again" is becoming a common phrase in my home! :classic_tongue:

You just did it again, @BirdNrd!!!!!!!! :classic_laugh:

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Haha 1

I change my profile picture up every few months, but the story of this one was MCLO had been evading me for awhile, and I was birding with the state reviewer. We had some far away, but this was the first close look I had of one. I don't know why I wrote this so poorly, it sounds like I'm not a native English speaker.

• Like 1
Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

I change my profile picture up every few months, but the story of this one was MCLO had been evading me for awhile, and I was birding with the state reviewer. We had some far away, but this was the first close look I had of one. I don't know why I wrote this so poorly, it sounds like I'm not a native English speaker.

I'd give you a like, but I'M OUT OF REACTIONS!!!  :classic_angry:

Oh, @Seanbirds you're not actually a Green Jay?  I honestly think of people looking like the birds in their profile pictures. 😆

Well, my profile picture is of an adorable male Pine Warbler.  We found him singing in one of our apple trees.  Pine Warbler was one of the species that I rarely saw until this year.  It was so exciting to have a breeding pair (or two) in our area and I got to see Pines regularly throughout the spring, summer, and fall.  They frequently foraged right outside my bedroom window and would occasionally take a peak inside to see what I was doing. 😁

• Like 1

So the story of my pfp is that me and my family had gone to big sur over the summer and whitle the we decided to go to Andrew Molera SP for some birding, so we got onto the beach area, so while my family ate lunch I decided to check out a big flock of gulls and geese. now in that flock there was a rarity a greater white fronted goose, after a few (lot) of blurry pics I finally got one that I liked, which is my pfp 

Blurry boi

IMG_8206.thumb.JPG.2d2c9cffbb5480431cc17ec4b921fbbf.JPG

Weeeee

IMG_8208.thumb.JPG.5ddcfcaa8801798ab7eb44fe0ab5ec9b.JPG

The hat that I'm not wearing 

IMG_8200.thumb.JPG.636fbc4c710953f9bbf763ab8d809d83.JPG

Edited by MichaelLong
5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

They frequently foraged right outside my bedroom window and would occasionally take a peak inside to see what I was doing. 😁

Here is a screenshot from a video I took of the Pine Warbler at my (very messy) window.

piwaatmywindow.jpg.ef0d731685b77990aa54a57856901b37.jpg

• Like 3

Mine is from the first time a Chestnut-backed Chickadee ever came to my feeder. I think they are the best looking chickadees in North America and this happened to be a decent picture. They don't come by very much any more... I miss them.

• Like 1

Just another Pileated Woodie, this time from Phinizy Swamp Nature Park, Augusta GA.  For some reason I have a hard time getting a clear, sharp shot of one, and this most recent one is the least blurry.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
On 11/18/2020 at 5:02 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

FYI, it's Thick-billed Longspur now.

I got mine last year in August near my cabin, and it will probably never change as I am not a fan of things changing. 

I’ve had the cabin for as long as I can remember, but had never actually seen an owl anywhere in BC which I always thought was odd as it’s a lot more wild there.

My friend and I were riding bikes after sunset in June and beard this terrible screeching. Then saw 2 owls flyover and land on the telephone pole, thought I’d never see them again.

I got eBird about a month later, but was still not very good at it, but I could see that they were spotted here before. Then, since this location is a camp ground, people kept posting photos of the owls visiting them at their camp sites for weeks on Instagram, but I was stuck in Calgary.

Fast forward to the end of July, I get back there and I’m waking up before sunrise and walking in the campground for hours trying to find these guys. Eventually after I think 5 days I found 2 of them side by side and was able to get a semi decent photo before they flew away, but lighting is not very good to begin with at 6am, let alone in the middle of the woods, but I was just glad I found them. 
Then one day Im riding my bike down the exact same road where I first saw them and  3 owlets are just hanging around in plain view. 

This one (my profile) was just sitting right on the fence by the road. I watched them for a bit as they caught grasshoppers and things and screamed. You could go down at a certain time to this area and they’d almost always be there, but I left them alone mostly after this, just did a quick check up every now and then. This year, at around the exact same time, 2 new owlets were in the exact same area...

I always think that finding an owl is like a religious experience or something. Always think I’m lucky if I find one. 

Anyways, that was unnecessarily long and full of irrelevant backstory, but I’ve never been good at being concise. 

• Like 3