Whatbird Community

Your best photo of a bird species.

6 minutes ago, IKLland said:

How is your best one, with a phone?

Banding. Had an adult male that was cold afterwards, so we set him down on a branch. he poofed up and i took some pics.

• Like 1
  • Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about a Meadowlark sitting on a Deers' head?\

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Installing a pond was probably one of my best decisions bird wise, though I also did it for the frogs

SAME!!  I love our pond we dug a few years ago.  We even had a North American River Otter visit it!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

SAME!!  I love our pond we dug a few years ago.  We even had a North American River Otter visit it!

Otter! How big is your pond?! Also how did the otter get there?

3 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Otter! How big is your pond?! Also how did the otter get there?

Maybe around 5000 square feet.  We live near a shallow river, so he must have come up from there.  Too bad he didn't stay long enough to catch all the bullfrogs...

Mines not quite big enough to house an otter 😂. Biggest thing I found swimming was a garter snake 

It is one of those plastic preformed ponds that we got for practically nothing. I think it’s 100 or so gallons. (mind the grass!)
A90A715D-BA13-410A-8E32-F205FF89C3E3.thumb.jpeg.0fcae121ca72bedb1578f1d6a2ee3a1b.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Mines not quite big enough to house an otter 😂. Biggest thing I found swimming was a garter snake 

It is one of those plastic preformed ponds that we got for practically nothing. I think it’s 100 or so gallons. (mind the grass!)
A90A715D-BA13-410A-8E32-F205FF89C3E3.thumb.jpeg.0fcae121ca72bedb1578f1d6a2ee3a1b.jpeg

Does it take a lot of work to maintain?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Colton V said:

Does it take a lot of work to maintain?

Not really at all. This one is at my cabin so I’m usually only there on and off through May-August so I usually just clean it out and the filter in the Spring and fall and general up keep when I’m there (removing algae, leaves, mosquito larvae, and re filling it). If I’m gone for a while, usually the only thing I have to do when I come back is fill it up and get rid of some extra algae.

I find it fun work though, like a large fish tank but less finicky. I don’t do anything drastic after the frogs lay their eggs so it’s mostly just cosmetic up keep after that. 

One day a guy with a big excavator thing came out to our place. Dad wanted him to build up our dirt road so he dug a good-sized pond and used the dirt from it(and a ditch on the other side) to build up our road, and I get a pond for wildlife! :classic_smile: The frogs and snakes love it. I’m planning to plant it with Cattails and Sedges, restock it with fish, and make it a regular waterbird paradise.

• Like 2