Whatbird Community

Your best photo of a bird species.

Kevin

2 minutes ago, Michelle Summers said:

It will be, if you keep at it 🙂  By the way, Warbling Vireo is a great bird 🙂  I had three in the yard a couple of days ago...I love migrations ❤️

:)

2 minutes ago, Michelle Summers said:

What part of the country are you in?

Eastern MA (near Boston).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

I wish I even had a Yellow-billed 😭 :classic_unsure:

They nest here ❤️  We are fortunate down here, in Texas, because we have Summer Birds, Winter Birds AND migrants passing through twice a year.  If you live very far north, you lose some of the variety.  We also have lots of variety of habitat.  You'll have to come visit Texas one day.  Kevin and I can show you some birds and really get your life list up 😃

• Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 7:43 PM, Michelle Summers said:

When did you have the Black-billed Cuckoo???  Can't believe you didn't tell me 😲  That would be a lifer.

I only heard it, and I couldn't find it after that. If I had been able to find it I definitely would have let you know. 

Oh, it was in May I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin said:

I only heard it, and I couldn't find it after that. If I had been able to find it I definitely would have let you know. 

Yesterday though I had hopes I had found one though! 

This was my first view, the tail looked ok for Black-billed.

DSCN1517.thumb.JPG.e762531d4c3c1f1efcf4940443aa5f06.JPG

The next angle I got I saw this, on the camera I couldn't tell the bill wasn't all black. But around the eye is not red, but I  maybe a young bird....(My hopes are starting to rise) 

DSCN1533.thumb.JPG.bf52330569a0bdcfc33155a1955de535.JPG

And then it all comes crashing down!

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Also, strangely, since we are doing these this week, I got an Olive-sided Flycatcher two day ago, I saw it first in the morning flying, but later I was out doing some work, and I saw it sitting in the top of one of the trees down be the creek. I ran into the house, grabbed my camera when flying back out the door, but it was gone. 

• Like 2

When did you have the Black-billed Cuckoo???  Can't believe you didn't tell me 😲  That would be a lifer.

I can't believe you didn't tell my you had Black-bellied Whistling-Duck in you yard all summer! 😲 I would have loved to come see them! 😛😝🤪

Seriously, I really would have like to come see them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I can't believe you didn't tell my you had Black-bellied Whistling-Duck in you yard all summer! 😲 I would have loved to come see them! 😛😝🤪

You two know each other personally?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

DSCN1517.thumb.JPG.e762531d4c3c1f1efcf4940443aa5f06.JPG

The next angle I got I saw this, on the camera I couldn't tell the bill wasn't all black. But around the eye is not red, but I  maybe a young bird....(My hopes are starting to rise) 

DSCN1533.thumb.JPG.bf52330569a0bdcfc33155a1955de535.JPG

And then it all comes crashing down!

I'm rooting for you to find that Black-billed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

You two know each other personally?

Yes, we have birded together at my house. She showed me my first Brown Thrasher(I was still new to birding). And then latter that day we spotted some Purple Finches...

@Michelle Summers You need to come bird with me again some time, it has been along time...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm so sorry!!  You would have had to stay all day, to see them. They very rarely landed within view this year. You are always welcome at my place!!  I had a serious good warbler day last week...Prairie, Wilson's, Black-throated Green, Yellow, Nashville and Mourning Warblers, but the Prairie only showed one day.  You have more yard birds than I do, so it never occurred to me that you would need the ducks, because they seem so common.  We aren't far apart, it seems, but it makes a difference for some birds. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

I don't even know what they sound like.  Now, I have to go listen.  I need to remember to watch your lists, and you need to watch mine.  Seriously, you are welcome here, anytime there's a bird you want to see!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yes, we have birded together at my house. She showed me my first Brown Thrasher(I was still new to birding). And then latter that day we spotted some Purple Finches...

@Michelle Summers You need to come bird with me again some time, it has been along time...

Yes, I do!! Maybe next week, before migration is over 😃  You never know what birds you'll find this time of year 😃

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Michelle Summers said:

Yes, I do!! Maybe next week, before migration is over 😃  You never know what birds you'll find this time of year 😃

Now I will have to go stack some new stepping stones at the creek, I had some really good ones, a four year old could have got across them! But when the county last bladed the road they disappeared. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Michelle Summers said:

I'm so sorry!!  You would have had to stay all day, to see them. They very rarely landed within view this year. You are always welcome at my place!!  I had a serious good warbler day last week...Prairie, Wilson's, Black-throated Green, Yellow, Nashville and Mourning Warblers, but the Prairie only showed one day.  You have more yard birds than I do, so it never occurred to me that you would need the ducks, because they seem so common.  We aren't far apart, it seems, but it makes a difference for some birds. 

Ooo! I have only had a few Yellows, and one Nashville. 

• Like 4