Whatbird Community

Masked Booby or Immature Gannet?

Hello,

After reviewing my photos from my seawatch at Cape Canaveral in Florida today, I found this bird. I remember when I first saw it, it looked smaller than a northern gannet, and was oddly heading out to sea, unlike all the gannets who were heading south. Its flight pattern seemed to be a bit different too. The wings match a masked booby (black sleeves), and so does the tail, but I don't see the mask. Also, the head is not yellow like a gannet, but that might just be the quality of the photo.

DSCN7190.JPG

Looks good for an immature Northern gannet. In time, the black will recede to only the wing tips 

Only similar bird would be a masked booby, but I think it’s the wrong time of year and they would not show the yellow tinge on the head nor have such a muddled appearance without at least some brown on the head

All birds in this photo are NOGAs. An immature MABO would have brown on the head and mottling on the neck. The wing pattern suggests adult MABO, but this is a subadult bird. Also, not the hint of warm tones on the nape, and the silvery bill. MABO bill would be yellow, even in juvenile plumage it would have green/yellow hues.

My bad. I was referring to your second photo and some how didn't see the first. The first has a MABO feel to it and the plumage pattern "seems" right but it's a tough photo to gauge. Plus, the bill appears kind of blunt and silvery-blue which would point to NOGA, but that also could just be a result of the distance and blur in the photo.

For Some reason I thought both birds were the same bird. I guess I should learn to read.

I was looking at bad photos (no offense 😂) of masked boobies and the majority of them the mask is noticeable. So it appears as if though we should be able see it from this angle and quality. Yet I did come across a few with relatively no mask at all. 
Though, I still don’t think that bill is yellow enough. 
I guess we need Tony or somebody to weigh in 

Thanks for the help everyone. It seems my second photo that I posted in order to help everyone just seemed to confuse people oops! I just posted it on eBird as sulid sp. So hopefully an eBird reviewer can help clear things up. I'm still leaning towards gannet since I cannot see that mask, but I may be mistaken.