Whatbird Community

First day, Kahului.

For the first day we didn't do any birding, how ever I still saw several interesting birds, including some House Sparrows and Spotted Doves hanging around inside the airport, and now I fully expect their to be birds in every airport I go to. The highlight birds were 3 Cattle Egrets foraging by the side of the road.

Lifers: Spotted Dove, Common Myna, and Zebra Dove

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

First day, Kahului.

For the first day we didn't do any birding, how ever I still saw several interesting birds, including some House Sparrows and Spotted Doves hanging around inside the airport, and now I fully expect their to be birds in every airport I go to. The highlight birds were 3 Cattle Egrets foraging by the side of the road.

Lifers: Spotted Dove, Common Myna, and Zebra Dove

Warbling White-eye and Cattle Egret are also lifers 

24 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

um right now I'm about to go to the beach, tomorrow Im going to Haleakala with my family. 

Im planing to go to Kealia Pond NWR sometime though 

On Haleakala, obviously check out Hosmer Grove. If there is one spot on the island to visit, that is it. Kealia Pond is a good spot to go to. For a mix of winter migrants and local introduced birds, often with the possibility for good photos, I highly suggest going to a golf course. 

The rest depends on where you are staying. Could you let me know the town you are in, it would be helpful for recommending spots.

I would try to see if you can get to the Kapalua Plantation Golf Course about 15 Minutes north of Lahaina, looks like a good mix of habitat. If you can't, you could definitely do the Ka'anapali Golf Course 5 minuets north. That one has a lot of water.

Try doing seawatches at points, even if you don't have a scope. If you look hard enough you should get Wedge-Tailed Shearwater, Black Noddy, Brown Booby, Great Frigatebird, or others.

I had tropicbird on that Northern Mountain, you could get some.

Day two: Lahaina 

After we arrived at our hotel and woke up at 3:00 Am we went to the beach to look for Sanderlings (long story short we didn't find any) the first beach we went to was the closest beach to the hotel, there weren't any birds there but I did come up with a new game called capture the rock. after that I went to Lahaina to eat lunch with my family. The place we ate at had a nice koi pond, and birds would come close enough to touch. After lunch we went to the Giant Banyan Tree (the 3rd largest in the world) and saw more Zebra Doves, Spotted Doves, House Sparrow, and a lifer the Java Sparrow. Also did I mention the baby chickens! They were sooooo cute, 6 tiny floof balls bouncing around. After that we went to a beach called "Baby Beach" because it was really calm and shallow. Near the beach we saw more chickens and played peekaboo with a White-eye. Even though there were no Sanderlings ;-; there was fish in the water which I found cool.

Highlight: Baaaaby chickens! 

Lifers: Java Sparrow 

• Like 1