Whatbird Community

What are the odds?

Jeb12-7

A warm summer morning on August 27, 2018 at 7:10am I was walking the dog prior to heading into the office. As I turned a corner I heard a woodpecker so I grabbed my phone to snap a photo. I did manage to get a few but the lighting was wrong and the dog impatient so I left without a good photo. It was a silhouette and I forgot about it and never looked it up. (1st photo below)

Fast forward 2 years to July 30, 2020 at 9:33am.  I was walking the dog and turned the corner to very load bird calls and find a woodpecker on a light pole just 3 houses further down than the one 2 years prior. Again I grabbed my photo and got a few photos before the dog got too impatient.

I’ve lived in this house for 4 years and have seen this bird only twice almost in the same place similar date and time. When I took the photos this year I remembered the silhouettes from 2 years ago and looked them up.  I was surprised when I compared them, what are the odds? 

8C36C8D7-F9CB-465D-856C-5FA21F18209B.jpeg

16A78540-7894-47C8-A296-00F8E3DE3178.jpeg

95E2F69E-B348-4D27-B377-98102AC108B3.jpeg

25570A8C-2F26-4291-A90D-4E163B599BFF.jpeg

• Like 2

To make this even a stranger story, I grew up in western New York and we had never heard of or seen this bird up there.  Well when my brother heard my story a few months ago and saw the photos, he related to me a story.  An aspiring artist in high school in the mid 1970s he saw a photo of a Pileated Woodpecker in a book and produced a sketch which he completed in water colors for his art class. He still has it and he sent me a scan of it. So not only food it circle back into my life 2 yrs later, it came back into his 45 yrs later. At the time he thought it was just a cool looking bird and different from the Flickers and Redheaded Woodpeckers we grew up with