Whatbird Community

It is my understanding that the bill of a Greater YL is longer than the width of the head and is slightly upturned.  Whereas, the bill of a Lesser YL is as long as the head is wide and is straight.  The bill in this picture looks straight and longer than the width of the head...  Also, it was making a peculiar bobbing motion with its body.  Reminded me of those toys depicting a bird bending over to "drink" water.

DSCN4898.JPG

• Like 1

There was one study done a while ago on the tail pumping of some passerine species and it was determined it was a form predator deference. As in the tail bobbing somehow singled to a would be predator that the bird saw it, or something. Though other reports have found that it sometimes has a use in flushing prey. Not sure if that directly translates to these guys, but I know they bob their head when a predator is near....

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Aaron said:

There was one study done a while ago on the tail pumping of some passerine species and it was determined it was a form predator deference. As in the tail bobbing somehow singled to a would be predator that the bird saw it, or something. Though other reports have found that it sometimes has a use in flushing prey. Not sure if that directly translates to these guys, but I know they bob their head when a predator is near....

It was definitely bobbing at the hip, not just the tail or head, and it absolutely knew I was there.  I don't know if it was bobbing before it saw me, though

On 11/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, MacMe said:

It was definitely bobbing at the hip, not just the tail or head, and it absolutely knew I was there.  I don't know if it was bobbing before it saw me, though

Nice Shot! I need to get some better ones of them!

Edited by Seanbirds