Whatbird Community

I am not sure about this bird.  It is a solitary bird that shows up at the feeder area every day.  There is a flock of redwing blackbirds that come in everyday but this one is by himself.

This is in Bishop, CA in the hight desert.  

100_0808.jpeg

100_0812.jpeg

1 hour ago, urban snipe said:

When I first looked at it I thought it was a black rail.

Aside from the fact that this birds structure is all blackbird, there are people who bird for 40 years and are lucky if they see a Black Rail once. 99 times out of 100, you hear a BLRA. They are very skulky birds who are subject to predation by a variety of different birds and mammals, so to see one out in the open like that eating seed on the ground is the entirely wrong behavior for BLRA. 

13 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Aside from the fact that this birds structure is all blackbird, there are people who bird for 40 years and are lucky if they see a Black Rail once. 99 times out of 100, you hear a BLRA. They are very skulky birds who are subject to predation by a variety of different birds and mammals, so to see one out in the open like that eating seed on the ground is the entirely wrong behavior for BLRA. 

Very True. I've only seen Black Rail twice, and both were quick glimpses of it running between the marsh, and mostly only seeing the reeds moving. 

22 hours ago, DLecy said:

I know it's not a black rail that's just what it first looked like

• Like 1