Whatbird Community

I saw and took pictures of several birds in Southwest Florida in January of 2018. I'm wondering if anyone could help identify them for me. The two that I am posting right now were seen in wooded wildlife areas. The woodpecker clearly has some yellow near his neck. I can't find either of these birds in my birding book! Any help would be appreciated : )

P1090425 (2).JPG

P1090417 (2).JPG

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker appears to be a black-crowned variant.  I love seeing those.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is a black-crowned variant.  I love seeing those.

The crown had me wondering. I thought maybe it was a young bird. I didn't know there was a variant.

23 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

I thought maybe it was a young bird.

I thought about that, too, but I think the contrasting facial pattern makes this an adult.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I thought about that, too, but I think the contrasting facial pattern makes this an adult.

I've always thought that they were variant females, but I could be wrong. Still never seen one myself.

3 hours ago, akiley said:

I've always thought that they were variant females, but I could be wrong. Still never seen one myself.

Yes, BNA online says, "Female. Similar to male, but chin and throat white (occasionally with some red mottling). Crown sometimes all black (12 of 69 individuals; Kilham 1977e), mixed red and black, black with red spots on forehead, or black with buffy markings."