Whatbird Community

Agreed (out of likes tho) - all photos Broad-winged Hawk. The first two photos show the pale patagium - it lacks the dark patagial bar of a Red-tailed Hawk. As mentioned by @Avery it also has a well defined dark trailing edge on the wing, and the pattern of spotting/streaking on the underparts is typical of a young Broad-wing (versus the belly band of a Red-tail).
Size, shape, and flight style are very important for Buteo identification, though best used with experience with multiple buteo species, so make sure you take the time to study the shape and flight style of the common species around you. That way you’ll notice when something unusual shows up.

6 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Huh...I was leaning Red-shouldered for all of them.  I thought the last one had to be a Red-shouldered with the five wing fingers, long tail, and transparent crescents near the wingtips.

Dang I forgot about Red-shouldered, wait a second I’m not sure now...

Nah I still think it Broad-winged...

Edited by AlexHenry
21 hours ago, Avery said:

no wing panels

Juvenile BWHAs have wing panels, as do juvenile and adult RSHAs; the latter's wing panels are just restricted to the outer portions of the primaries. Angle of view is important for discernment of wing panels. To see them as they are, one needs to have the hand fully open and the observer needs to be looking from somewhere near perpendicular to the plane of the wing. The birds in the first two pictures violate the first parameter and the the bird in the third picture violates the second parameter. The birds' wing panels cannot accurately be gauged.

IMO, the first bird is a classic juvenile BWHA with the compact body, relatively broad wing base, and relatively short tail typical of the species. The second is, I believe, a slam-dunk Red-shouldered. The long p6 on the third bird should ID it as a RSHA.

Edit: I meant to add, and forgot, that the reason for the necessity of perpendicularity is that the observer has to have light coming through the primaries in a nearly direct line.

Edited by Tony Leukering
typo fix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1