Whatbird Community

The Abominable Sparrow?

2 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

leucistic WCSP?

My first though was also that this is a leucistic Zonotrichia. Given the bill color, likely White-crowned Sparrow (vs White-throated Sparrow). So I think you could be right, leucistic White-crowned Sparrow.

That being said, it’s pretty tough to ID since much of the information usually used to ID is not there. Perhaps better left unidentified? It’s tough to rule out Song, Fox, Chipping, etc.

I’m pretty sure this is not a Junco.

3 hours ago, LanceM said:

Albino House Sparrow?

FYI, albinism is a complete absence of pigment.  An albino bird would not have any dark feathers or dark marks on the bill.  It would have red eyes because the lack of pigment would result in a transparent iris, leaving the red blood vessels in the eyes visible.

25 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

My first though was also that this is a leucistic Zonotrichia. ... I’m pretty sure this is not a Junco.

That's farther than I got.  I can't differentiate sparrow families by structure (yet).

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

That's farther than I got.  I can't differentiate sparrow families by structure (yet).

Depending upon what you mean by "sparrow," there are either two families or just one. New World sparrows are all in the same family, the Passerellidae, while Old World Sparrows (e.g., House Sparrow) are in Passeridae.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't think white on the tail would be diagnostic for this one.  It's already white in plenty of spots it shouldn't be.

Yeah, I considered that, but most of the tail appears dark. I figured if only the outer tail feathers were white, there was a good chance they were natural feathers

• Like 1