Whatbird Community

Taken 11-15-2020 in late afternoon at Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve in Van Nuys, CA.

Are these photos all of Red-Winged Blackbirds?  The second photo is a zoom-in of the bird in the first photo.  

They flew up out of some reeds and then I came upon what I think was the same group of birds about 10 minutes later in some reeds (last two photos).

Thanks.

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8668_1.jpg

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8668_2.jpg

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8671.jpg

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8676.jpg

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8738.jpg

2020-11-15_Sepulveda_Basin_8739.jpg

You got it. They are Red-winged Blackbirds. Interestingly, Alvaro Jaramillo just posted about RWBL forming single sex flocks in winter at/near the coast. Not sure if all the birds in your photo are females, but it's a cool behavior I didn't know about previously.

17 minutes ago, DLecy said:

You got it. They are Red-winged Blackbirds. Interestingly, Alvaro Jaramillo just posted about RWBL forming single sex flocks in winter at/near the coast. Not sure if all the birds in your photo are females, but it's a cool behavior I didn't know about previously.

I was in the delta 2 days ago and found 2 all male flocks of RWBB, and they were the migrant red winged, not bicolored.