Whatbird Community

blackish bird

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It's a Rusty Blackbird.  I think someone's monitor needs to be brightened a bit. :)

Goodness! It looks totally different on the phone. My mom turned the brightness down two or three weeks ago, maybe I will turn it up some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstacks said:

We were walking around a frozen lake (Lake Manitou, Teller County, Colorado). There was a mix of ice, snow, and water. But no running water, no creeks.

The only place I've ever seen RUBLs is near streams and at pond edges in the Front Range of Colorado in the winter. Sounds right. And as others have already pointed out, yes, this is definitely a RUBL. Always a treat to see!

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Rusty is a bird of eastern wetlands, marshes, and forest streams. Brewer's is one of western fields, agricultural lands, and farms.

How does this pertain to a bird at the edge of a frozen lake at 8,400 ft. in the mountains of Colorado?

Even in winter, when Brewer's is relatively scarce in Colorado, it still massively outnumbers Rusty in overall abundance; Rusty is of rare and typically very localized occurrence -- mostly in eastern CO, keeping to its preference of locations in or near most forest. Oddly, though, with careful scrutiny, Colorado's birders have found it to be of somewhat regular occurrence in the state's spine, as is evidenced by this map of RUBL occurrence in Nov-Feb in Colorado.

Additionally, here is the 2020 eBird bar graph for the species in Teller County.

Finally, here is the 2020 eBird bar graph for the Manitou Lake eBird hotspot.

• Like 1