Whatbird Community

Distant Ducks.

Southern Ontario today.

Lesser Scaup on the left, Ring-necked (side profile) at the front, but no peaked head so maybe Scaup again?, sleeping duck a Ruddy (based on low profile) or Scaup and Scaup on the right?

Very distant at the time so trying to figure it out from terrible photos.

Thanks

Duck group ID EcoP-7509519.jpg

11 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Don’t see why these aren’t all Lesser Scaups

Thanks Alex. If all Scaup then would the sleeping bird be more likely for Greater based on the flat head profile.

Central bird no white face markings but no obvious spur, just gave a Ring-necked vibe.

A few days ago Lesser moved to tagged but Greater still OK but the one on the left definitely, at least to me, looks to be Lesser.

Thanks again.

36 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

4 Aythya sp

Wise choice.

Fortunately someone with a scope followed closely behind me and hopefully got better views posting four Lesser (backing up your initial thoughts) but I still suspect the sleeping bird is a Greater (who knows!!, maybe Tony).

I know you prefer nailing them down at the time and agree with your logic (trying to raise my binos before I raise my camera is just not natural for me) but sometimes the later autopsy can be fun.

Took a photo of a bird today which was way too far for a binos ID but turned out to be my first Northern Shrike.

Regards.

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

trying to raise my binos before I raise my camera is just not natural for me

Interesting.  Were you into photography before you started birding? 

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

Took a photo of a bird today which was way too far for a binos ID but turned out to be my first Northern Shrike.

Congrats on the NOSH.  I'm hoping my next camera will double as a poor man's spotting scope. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

13 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Interesting.  Were you into photography before you started birding?

Good question but tough to answer - since the age of about thirteen I have enjoyed photography and nature/birds. I only got serious about bird IDs a couple of years ago so my first instinct is still to grab a photo first - until I improve my skills probably the best approach. I suspect it is a gradual transition - the NOSH was a good example - backlit and tough to ID with just binos. I have at least learned enough that at this time of year a bird that size is worth a closer look.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Congrats on the NOSH.  I'm hoping my next camera will double as a poor man's spotting scope. 

I keep bumping into birders with the Nikon P900/1000? and really liking them for the amazing zoom capabilities. Today a birder with the P1000? could get far better results than my crop frame DSLR and 150-600mm lens. A little bulky but far less weight than a DSLR combo - something to think about for Christmas? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I keep bumping into birders with the Nikon P900/1000? and really liking them for the amazing zoom capabilities. Today a birder with the P1000? could get far better results than my crop frame DSLR and 150-600mm lens. A little bulky but far less weight than a DSLR combo - something to think about for Christmas?

Haha I love my P1000!  Hate to say it, but my scope ends up just sitting in the car sometimes.  P1000 does almost as well on a tripod, and of course takes photos and videos.  Formerly owned P900 and I have to say the upgrade was definitely worth it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

41 minutes ago, TKbird said:

Haha I love my P1000!  Hate to say it, but my scope ends up just sitting in the car sometimes.  P1000 does almost as well on a tripod, and of course takes photos and videos.  Formerly owned P900 and I have to say the upgrade was definitely worth it.

Yeah, I'm going back and forth between the P950 and the P1000.  I'd love the P1000's extra range and it having a focus ring.  I just don't know about the extra pound of that cannon.  On an 3- to 5-hour expedition, I usually move every 10 to 15 minutes.  I don't regard a tripod as an option, mostly because I already can't juggle binos, my 1-pound Fz70, and a monopod.  I'll be toting it in a case on a cross-body strap, but that's a lot of weight to hold to my face for several minutes at a time.  Might do my biceps some good :classic_dry:

Tonight I'm leaning toward the P1000 but I change my mind at least daily.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Congrats on the NOSH

There is no four-letter code of "NOSH," due to the conflict between Northern Shoveler (NSHO) and Northern Shrike (NSHR).

All the ducks are scaup. RUDU is much smaller than even Lesser Scaup and wouldn't show so much dark on the head. We're looking down the head of the sleeping bird (from back to front), so profile cannot be determined. I think that they're safely all Lesser.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, TKbird said:

I have the P900, and I love it. Perhaps by the time I need a new camera Nikon will have come up with a better/lighter weight version of the P1000.

Edited by Kevin

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I have the P900, and I love it. Perhaps by the time I need a new camera Nikon will have come up with a better/lighter weight version of the P1000.

That would be great, but we'll see haha https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4350569 😉

P950 seems like a good option, if nothing better comes along in the meanwhile!  The game changers for me with the P1000 over the P900 are (in this order): greatly improved viewfinder (I never used the P900 viewfinder, and I almost exclusively use the P1000 viewfinder), auto to manual focus thumb switch (almost as good as back-button focusing), 4K video (I personally use this for IDing mostly), and the extra zoom.  P950 has all but the zoom!  (Plus RAW of course, if you like photo editing.)

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2020 at 7:21 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Tonight I'm leaning toward the P1000 but I change my mind at least daily.

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

And tonight I'm leaning toward the P950, and I think that's going to be the final decision.

I thought you were planning on renting one before making a final decision? Or did you change your mind about that too? :classic_laugh:

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I thought you were planning on renting one before making a final decision? Or did you change your mind about that too? :classic_laugh:

Yeah, I change my mind about that too.  I was able to rule out the Sony RX10 based on comparison shots from a couple of guys on DPreview who had both RX10 and P950.  They had the same shots at max range from both cameras.  For my purposes, the range of the P950 trumped the sharper-at-closer-range (and higher price) of the RX10, esp. since I want it to double as a rudimentary spotting scope

From there, it was a question of the P1000's weight vs its range and ease of manual focusing.  Yesterday I read several comments that the left side wheel on the P950 made manual focusing very easy, so that trumped the P1000's weight and price.  I'll accept the P950's shorter range; it's still more than my current FZ70.

I need to quit picking at this scab; I've pretty much made up my mind.  Now I'm just waiting to see if someone offers the P950 on sale, although that doesn't seem likely based on its popularity.  I missed a great price on a rebuilt one.  If I don't find one cheap by this weekend, I'll order one anyway.  I have eight days off over the holidays and want to use that time to learn it.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Now I'm just waiting to see if someone offers the P950 on sale, although that doesn't seem likely based on its popularity. 

At least it is currently in stock. The Canon SX70 (looks more attractive to me without more research - much lighter and similar features raw, 4K, manual focus etc., less zoom but without a tripod possibly the practical limit) is not available at the moment (at least at B&H). These cameras are popular.

B&H has the P950 with a bag and memory card for the same price as just the camera ($797).

Not sure if posting a link is OK here but I'll risk it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon coolpix p950&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

2 hours ago, RobinHood said:

B&H has the P950 with a bag and memory card for the same price as just the camera ($797).

Yeah, but I already have a faster, larger memory card.  I also have that same bag; they bundled it with my FZ70.  I can tell you the smaller FZ70 barely fits, and I've ready plenty of comments about the P950 being difficult to get out of it in a hurry.  The combo may be a good option for others who don't already have a decent memory card, but you'll wind up replacing the bag anyway.

KEH had a used one, with the condition rated '10' and a full one-year warranty for $670, and it slipped through my fingers.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

On 11/29/2020 at 11:11 AM, RobinHood said:

Southern Ontario today.

Lesser Scaup on the left, Ring-necked (side profile) at the front, but no peaked head so maybe Scaup again?, sleeping duck a Ruddy (based on low profile) or Scaup and Scaup on the right?

Very distant at the time so trying to figure it out from terrible photos.

Thanks

Duck group ID EcoP-7509519.jpg

They all look like a group of Lesser Scaup to me... But from the one on the front, which has the white and the black on it's chest, looks a lot like a Greater Scaup to me, even though that maybe a shadow.

5 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Agree about the bags but extra cards are often useful - I always carry one in my wallet (once went birding and had not put the memory card back in the camera - it was still in the card reader!!).

I have made myself get into the habit of checking to see if I've put the chip back in before I put it back in it's bag, but I carry another one in my camera bag just in case.