Whatbird Community

6 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Should I just report it as "Buteo sp."?

Buteo sp. is probably a good call unless someone else responds on here with a more concrete answer. Without being able to judge size or see the plumage it’s tough, maybe Tony or someone can ID it but I can’t. 

I’d be more inclined to go with Swainsons, they are by far the most common hawk seen here next to red-tails in the summer. Usually I can see at least 2 every time I go out. 
Broad-wings are found here usually in migration. This one, if it was a broad-winged, would be flagged as rare by eBird if it were to be reported for this date. You can look at the recent sighting from 2019-2020 for broad wings within the city from June-July and there’s only two reports. Both from 2020 and chased after by multiple people as this year is our once a decade city bird challenge. (I’m losing terribly) 

Also doesn’t seem compact enough to me for broad winged, but I’ve only seen 3 birds in flight!  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I’d be more inclined to go with Swainsons, they are by far the most common hawk seen here next to red-tails in the summer. Usually I can see at least 2 every time I go out. 
Broad-wings are found here usually in migration. This one, if it was a broad-winged, would be flagged as rare by eBird if it were to be reported for this date. You can look at the recent sighting from 2019-2020 for broad wings within the city from June-July and there’s only two reports. Both from 2020 and chased after by multiple people as this year is our once a decade city bird challenge. (I’m losing terribly) 

Also doesn’t seem compact enough to me for broad winged, but I’ve only seen 3 birds in flight!  

@Aaron--We loved Calgary.  And Banff and Yoho.  ❤️ I'm ready to go back--but next time I'll bird!

Edited by floraphile
correction
  • Like 1

There’s a few good birding areas in the city, but it’s best here usually for migration and the winter (despite the cold). We get pretty much every arctic species in and around the city most winters. Drive East for snowy owls and snow buntings and then west for Northern hawk & great gray owls.
I actually only really started birding the city this year so I’m actually not too familiar with all the city has to offer. Usually I’d wait until I was in BC! Most of the good areas are in the exact opposite side of the city from me. 
Always preferred going into the foothills and mountains. A lot better views and far more interesting things. 

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

There’s a few good birding areas in the city, but it’s best here usually for migration and the winter (despite the cold). We get pretty much every arctic species in and around the city most winters. Drive East for snowy owls and snow buntings and then west for Northern hawk & great gray owls.
I actually only really started birding the city this year so I’m actually not too familiar with all the city has to offer. Usually I’d wait until I was in BC! Most of the good areas are in the exact opposite side of the city from me. 
Always preferred going into the foothills and mountains. A lot better views and far more interesting things. 

We did a lot of "Incidental Birding"--especially in Burnsland Cemetery, near the Stampede grounds.  A dedicated birding trip is definitely in order!