Whatbird Community

I posted a checklist on ebird in Feb 2019 that included 3 Purple Finch.  It was accepted when posted.  Today, I added photos for those birds--and now the observation has been flagged as "Unconfirmed".  Is that an automatic flag generated due to a need to review photographs for accuracy?  Photo attached.

772780244_6K7A3498-Copy.thumb.JPG.b9ec4a3fc4f9835b7b1aace895d12839.JPG

On 11/30/2020 at 5:58 AM, Avery said:

I would guess so, as those are 100% PUFIs

On 12/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, Seanbirds said:

Agreed.

Nope. Once a record has been "CONFIRMED" in eBird, you can add photos to it without the need for the photos to be confirmed separately/independently. Not sure why this happened, but when you say it was originally "CONFIRMED," are you 100% sure? Do you remember how you determined it was "CONFIRMED?" because there are only a few ways this can be done on a submission without photos.

My best guess is that. your original checklist was "UNCONFIRMED." My other guess is that someone independently flagged the photos, which seems unlikely since these are obviously PUFIs.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

If you edit an observation that has already been confirmed, such as editing comments, species counts, photos, etc, it is sent back to the reviewer again for examination automatically. 

This is simply not true. Out of the reasons you listed above, the only thing that would get the sighting sent back to the reviewer is if you changed the species count for a rare bird with a filter value of "0." Editing comments or adding a photo to a confirmed sighting doesn't get it sent back to the reviewer.

41 minutes ago, DLecy said:

This is simply not true. Out of the reasons you listed above, the only thing that would get the sighting sent back to the reviewer is if you changed the species count for a rare bird with a filter value of "0." Editing comments or adding a photo to a confirmed sighting doesn't get it sent back to the reviewer.

I don’t think that’s the case. One of the members on this forum, who is a reviewer (Tony Leukering, I believe) said that this was the case in a post here some time back. The Op said that it was confirmed, and the only thing he changed was the addition of a photo, and then bam it was unconfirmed. Additionally, the reviewer for Michigan also made a post about this. Here’s a screenshot. 

08C05C4C-9826-4AAF-BAA0-8AD39E4074C0.png

Interesting. Not sure about this one. I add photos to birds flagged as rare all the time AFTER they are confirmed (sometimes I am not happy with the photo and want to edit it crop it slightly) and it never gets it sent back to the reviewer. Just this morning, I made a slight change to the text of a rare bird sighting of mine and the bird is still confirmed (per photos) and appears in the public output, which it wouldn't be if it were thrown back into the queue for our local reviewers. As I said before, the one time I do know it got kicked back to the reviewer was when I changed the species count (from 2 to 1 with Sagebrush Sparrow in Joshua Tree NP a few winters ago).

Can you imagine all the work a reviewer would have to do to re-review records every time someone edited text of a confirmed sighting?!?!

Not sure what the hotspot screenshots are for in your last post @Birding Boy.

@Tony Leukering, care to weigh in here and help out with the confusion?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

My best guess is that. your original checklist was "UNCONFIRMED." My other guess is that someone independently flagged the photos, which seems unlikely since these are obviously PUFIs.

Photos are incorrectly flagged frequently.

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

If you edit an observation that has already been confirmed

Not quite right. Reports that are reviewed and found lacking (unconfirmed) will bubble back up with any change made to the entry by the observer. If they're confirmed, they'll stay that way, even if photos of incorrectly ID'ed subjects are added.

• Like 4

I am wondering if, perhaps, a regular ebirder (i.e. not a bona fide reviewer) tagged my photos as "Unconfirmed" so it would be officially reviewed by the eBird Powers That Be.  I recently discovered that to be an option for us regulars.  

Edited by floraphile
clarification

4 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I am wondering if, perhaps, a regular ebirder (i.e. not a bona fide reviewer) tagged my photos as "Unconfirmed" so it would be officially reviewed by the eBird Powers That Be.  I recently discovered that to be an option for us regulars.  

Yes, I think thats what Tony is saying. Even correctly IDed bird photos are often incorrectly flagged by other eBirders. That may be what happened. How did you know that your original post (w/o photos) was confirmed?

10 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Photos are incorrectly flagged frequently.

Not quite right. Reports that are reviewed and found lacking (unconfirmed) will bubble back up with any change made to the entry by the observer. If they're confirmed, they'll stay that way, even if photos of incorrectly ID'ed subjects are added.

Word. Thanks @Tony Leukering. No worries @Birding Boy, that's precisely what these threads are for.

14 minutes ago, floraphile said:

@Colton V--if you click on the photo, under "Rating" you'll see a flag icon.  Click that and it pulls up the checklist with the photo and you can flag it there; it will ask you to mark why you are flagging it and allows for free-texting an explanation.

The only option it gives me is "offensive or inappropriate content." Is this what's supposed to happen?

7 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I'm sorry, @Colton V--I don't understand your last question.  The page you posted is akin to what I experienced when I flagged an ID I thought to be incorrect.  

I am just confused because when I click on the flag, it only gives me the option to report the photo as inappropriate or offensive, but it doesn't give me the option to report it as a wrong species. It's not that big of an issue though as I rarely come across misidentified photos, but I want to know how to report one if I do find one. 

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 10.30.44 AM.png

Edited by Colton V