Whatbird Community

What is this bird?

I saw a pair of birds in our yard using our fountain and small pond.  I keep good track of the birds that visit our area and I have never seen these birds before.  Unfortunately I was unable to get a picture of them, so I will give my best description.  This was this past weekend, Sept. 9th, and I haven't seen them since.  They were about 8 or 9 inches (just a little smaller than a robin), all the body was gray and they had an eye mask..this mask was just around the eyes and did not go back along the sides of the head..as if they had a  sleep mask on their eyes.  The other distinctive marking on both was 2 white thin vertical strips on their lower back. They moved around the edge of the pond together until they found a place they could reach the water easily.  Location is Baraboo, Wisconsin...which is in south central Wisconsin.  Any ideas what this might be?  I have looked in all my bird books and have found nothing close.  Thanks...

Thanks for the suggestions..I know for sure it is not mourning doves, we have plenty of those around..northern mockingbird-no, that is larger than these and along looks different. These birds were very plain grey except for the mask and the stripes..I guess that is why they stood out to me so. 

12 hours ago, Evie12 said:

Or maybe Cedar Waxwing?

I think this is a good guess, possibly juveniles.  https://www.google.com/search?q=juvenile+cedar+waxwing&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS_snOmr3dAhVjQt8KHfnvD4gQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=770&dpr=1.2

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Thanks for all the suggestions..I believe I have found the Bird!  I believe they were Western Kingbirds.  The size is right and the vertical white stripes on the tail tell the story..It is not common where I live, but I see that they sometimes stray east in the fall which also fits...