Whatbird Community

3 Gulls with black bill, Iceland Gull?

Today in southern Nevada.  Went looking for an Iceland gull reported yesterday at a lake nearby.  Looking thru huge numbers of ring-billed, found 3 gulls with black bills (as the Iceland gull reported yesterday had) and did my best to photograph every angle and in flight if possible.  Thanks!

DSCN3739.JPG

DSCN3989.JPG

DSCN4607.JPG

DSCN4711.JPG

DSCN4811.JPG

DSCN4898.JPG

DSCN5023.JPG

DSCN5040.JPG

Honestly these gull topics are tough. I’m probably gonna get these wrong but... 1, 5, 6 seem most interesting.

1. Herring or Thayer’s. Bill seems pretty small (good for Thayers) but outer primaries look solidly dark (good for Herring).

2. ?

3. Herring

4. ? Looks big and bulky though, unlike Thayer’s.

5 and 6. These 2 photos look like the same individual. Plumage looks a lot like Thayer’s. Head and bill are still pretty big though. So maybe Thayer’s? But not sure.

7 and 8. Herring or Thayer’s.

I’m not confident calling any of these Thayer’s, but 1, 5, and 6 like your best bets. Many of the others seem more like Herring.

Now to wait for Tony to come prove me wrong... which I honestly appreciate because it’s a good way to learn.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2020 at 2:42 PM, Corey said:

Today in southern Nevada.  Went looking for an Iceland gull reported yesterday at a lake nearby.  Looking thru huge numbers of ring-billed, found 3 gulls with black bills (as the Iceland gull reported yesterday had) and did my best to photograph every angle and in flight if possible.  Thanks!

DSCN3739.JPG

DSCN3989.JPG

DSCN4607.JPG

DSCN4711.JPG

DSCN4811.JPG

DSCN4898.JPG

DSCN5023.JPG

DSCN5040.JPG

1. Is a Thayer's Gull

2. Herring Gull (With the white dots, Thayer's gulls don't have that on the top part of the wing)

3. Another Herring Gull

4. Unsure, it has hard to see the pattern on the wing

5. Thayer's Gull

6. Herring Gull

7. You can almost not tell, but I think I know what Gull it is. From the way the dark brown near the eye doesn't make a small triangle on the eye. I am going to guess a Herring Gull.

8. Last one is a Thayer's Gull