Whatbird Community

Costa Rican Hummingbirds

5 minutes ago, floraphile said:

@Kevin @Aveschapines  Is Central America considered separately for birding purposes?

For this forums purpose, I think the Help me Identify A North American Bird is the ABA area, as in U.S. (without Hawaii?) and Canada. I agree that we should at least include Mexico. If the forums start getting a major influx of Central American bird questions, maybe we should make a new sub-forum!

• Like 1

Just now, Avery said:

For this forums purpose, I think the Help me Identify A North American Bird is the ABA area, as in U.S. (without Hawaii?) and Canada. I agree that we should at least include Mexico. If the forums start getting a major influx of Central American bird questions, maybe we should make a new sub-forum!

I posted on iNaturalist, also.  

Rufous-tailed hummingbirds have a red bill and they don’t have those white-outer tail feathers. With that curved bill, I’m pretty sure the first is a coppery-heard emerald.

Not sure on the others, didn’t get to experience those while I was down there! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Rufous-tailed hummingbirds have a red bill and they don’t have those white-outer tail feathers. With that curved bill, I’m pretty sure the first is a coppery-heard emerald.

Not sure on the others, didn’t get to experience those while I was down there! 

It was definitely sensory-overload, as far as hummingbirds are concerned. 🙂  iNaturalist poster ID'd as Stripe-Tailed.  I haven't heard back on the possible female Purple Throated Mtn Gems

Edited by floraphile
  • Like 1

@Kevin and @floraphile I'm going to respect the original poster's preference on this one. I would however recommend moving it to the non-North America forum because threads like this sometimes get buried very quickly. Most of my ID requests went unanswered in "the old days" until the non-North America forums were created. The instructions for the North American forum don't define North America, and the reason for the separate forum is to create a space where the posts about other areas won't get buried in the overwhelming volume of N.A. ID requests. 

And - speaking as a WhatBirder here, mod hat off - I've always assumed that North America for these purposes means ABA area. And, for what it's worth, nobody in Central America considers it to be part of North America. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

nobody in Central America considers it to be part of North America. 

That may well be true, but it doesn't change the fact that the native life forms (plants and animals) of most of Middle America are more akin to those of farther north than of South America, particularly if one ignores the changes in both since the Spanish arrived.

20 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

That may well be true, but it doesn't change the fact that the native life forms (plants and animals) of most of Middle America are more akin to those of farther north than of South America, particularly if one ignores the changes in both since the Spanish arrived.

It's not considered to be part of South America either, and I'm not sure that the distinction is made with biology in mind; I think it's more politically based.

Edited by Aveschapines
Wrong word...

34 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

@Kevin and @floraphile I'm going to respect the original poster's preference on this one. I would however recommend moving it to the non-North America forum because threads like this sometimes get buried very quickly. Most of my ID requests went unanswered in "the old days" until the non-North America forums were created. The instructions for the North American forum don't define North America, and the reason for the separate forum is to create a space where the posts about other areas won't get buried in the overwhelming volume of N.A. ID requests. 

And - speaking as a WhatBirder here, mod hat off - I've always assumed that North America for these purposes means ABA area. And, for what it's worth, nobody in Central America considers it to be part of North America. 

It sounds like I need to familiarize myself with "ABA area"!

Oh, it's definitely not South America. Panama and, to lesser extent, Costa Rica are a transition zone from North America to South America, due to the on-again, off-again presence of the land bridge that currently exists. Eastern Panama (particularly the Darien) is really the only part of the mainland New World north of Colombia that could be considered to truly be South American.

I understand the political definition, but I have always objected to the politicocentric view of Americans and Canadians (particularly the former) whereby they abscond with a reasonably adequate geological definition of the Americas and restrict it to those two countries. It's ridiculous, but nothing more than I expect.

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

I understand the political definition, but I have always objected to the politicocentric view of Americans and Canadians (particularly the former) whereby they abscond with a reasonably adequate geological definition of the Americas and restrict it to those two countries. It's ridiculous, but nothing more than I expect.

Me too. There isn't even a word for "people from the United States of America" in English! And even here most people consider American to mean from the US. If you challenge them on it they'll say "North American", which is only marginally better. (And there is a perfectly good word in Spanish - "estadounidense")

1 minute ago, Aveschapines said:

So - mod hat back on - I think it's up to the posters to decide what North America means, and I won't move them without the poster's request or permission for Mexico, Central America, and Hawaii. I think I may have done so in the past but I'll be careful in the future.

@Aveschapines--I'm fine with you moving it, if you think it'll get more exposure on the other forum.  

3 minutes ago, floraphile said:

@Aveschapines--I'm fine with you moving it, if you think it'll get more exposure on the other forum.  

This thread has been pretty hot to that may or may not apply in this case. But I think in general it's true because they don't drop down as fast. So you let me know what you prefer and I'm fine with either choice. (If you change your mind in the future that's fine too!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

This thread has been pretty hot to that may or may not apply in this case. But I think in general it's true because they don't drop down as fast. So you let me know what you prefer and I'm fine with either choice. (If you change your mind in the future that's fine too!)

Lol.  We can leave this one here.  I'll post any additional Costa Rica birds on the the other forum.  🙂 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

Me too. There isn't even a word for "people from the United States of America" in English! And even here most people consider American to mean from the US. If you challenge them on it they'll say "North American", which is only marginally better. (And there is a perfectly good word in Spanish - "estadounidense")

I never thought about that! The residents of some states have a word for themselves (Vermonter, Floridian, etc.) but I havent heard a word for every state. American could mean a lot of things, but since almost every country in the Americas has a name for themselves, I think American is a safe bet for someone from the US