Whatbird Community

UK Gull April 2018

Hi,

I was doing some file cleanup and found this shot taken April 2018 in London Wetland Centre.

After paging through Birds of Europe and some Sibley guides, I am wondering if this is Common/Mew gull, due to the black gonydeal spot, medium gray back, the clean white head & a starkly dark eye (not the yellow iris I typically see in my New York area)

Let me know If I'm missing something obvious, or if just not enough to go on here.

Thanks-

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Edited by elkeno

Hi I got curious enough about Merlin to download & try it- I ran the Photo ID on the top pic & it suggested to me (for April, London) in this order

1 Herring

2 Iceland

3 Caspian

4 Mew

No suggestions for Kittiwake, Fulmar.  I'm curious whether you ran Photo ID (with England pack) , or did you go through the size/color process?

Still not positive I can rule out Herring, despite the eye..(?)

Thanks

Edited by elkeno

16 minutes ago, elkeno said:

Hi I got curious enough about Merlin to download & try it- I ran the Photo ID on the top pic & it suggested to me (for April, London) in this order

1 Herring

2 Iceland

3 Caspian

4 Mew

No suggestions for Kittiwake, Fulmar.  I'm curious whether you ran Photo ID (with England pack) , or did you go through the size/color process?

Thanks

Definitely not Mew (common) Gull. I have no problem with Herring.

2 hours ago, elkeno said:

1 Herring

2 Iceland

3 Caspian

4 Mew

Thanks

Sorry about that. something must have screwed up on the photo ID. I have a Merlin pack that contains all of Europe, north Africa, and Arabia.