Whatbird Community

Warbler ID

I find these warblers to be puzzling.  I expected to see more yellow on the rump of a yellow-rumped and thought white underparts and a black tipped tail pointed to Magnolia.  I am sure I'll have them all figured out eventually if I hang out here long enough.  Thanks for the ID!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TampaTech said:

I find these warblers to be puzzling.  I expected to see more yellow on the rump of a yellow-rumped and thought white underparts and a black tipped tail pointed to Magnolia.  I am sure I'll have them all figured out eventually if I hang out here long enough.  Thanks for the ID!

Here, try these:

Yellow-rumped Warbler - Katherine Cavazos

OK, there you go.  The second picture is a good match.  And yes, I didn't get to see it from above so no yellow rump from my perspective.  Thanks for the additional info.  It seems like once I've asked for help with an ID I end up seeing that bird all them time.  I'll be able able to spot a yellow-rumped from a mile away now. ?

17 minutes ago, TampaTech said:

OK, there you go.  The second picture is a good match.  And yes, I didn't get to see it from above so no yellow rump from my perspective.  Thanks for the additional info.  It seems like once I've asked for help with an ID I end up seeing that bird all them time.  I'll be able able to spot a yellow-rumped from a mile away now. ?

The first image is in breeding plumage, unlike the grabber winter colors in the second.  There are also a couple of subspecies that have more or less yellow or black but you won't have them in Tampa.  Either way, they all have that yellow blob year round.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Yellow-rumped Warbler should be WAAYYYY more common in Hays County than Palm Warbler, which is a rarity.

Bar Charts - eBird

BTW, Magnolia also has a yellow rump.

Thanks for the link to that graph Tony.  I wasn't aware that tool existed.  I'm in Hillsborough County Florida where the Palms outnumber the Yellow-rumped by a little this time of year.  I'm sure I've seen many Yellow-rumped though and just mistook them for Palms.  This is all good information.  I keep learning, albeit slowly.