Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Looks identical to a Great Kiskadee but it's something else ...


Recommended Posts

Great Kiskadees have larger bills and reddish/orangeish tones on the wing and tail that would be visible in this photo. They are also quite a bit bigger than Social Flycatchers and have very different calls/songs. With the proviso that I don't know if there is another similar species in Colombia (Boat-Billed is the other similar one here, but again bill is way too small) I agree with Social Flycatcher.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, Aveschapines said:

Great Kiskadees have larger bills and reddish/orangeish tones on the wing and tail that would be visible in this photo. They are also quite a bit bigger than Social Flycatchers and have very different calls/songs. With the proviso that I don't know if there is another similar species in Colombia (Boat-Billed is the other similar one here, but again bill is way too small) I agree with Social Flycatcher.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, Seanbirds said:

For sure Social Flycatcher.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:56 AM, Kevin said:

 Looks good to me!

Note the rusty margins on the primaries. How is a Rusty-margined Flycatcher being ruled out? Especially since the black, yellow, and white Myiozetetes flycatchers of central and south America should be ID'ed with caution. 

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

 

 

Note the rusty margins on the primaries. How is a Rusty-margined Flycatcher being ruled out? Especially since the black, yellow, and white Myiozetetes flycatchers of central and south America should be ID'ed with caution. 

For one I'm not ruling it out; I'm not familiar with that species. The rusty color doesn't match a Great Kiskadee in my opinion, but as I stated I'm not familiar with other similar species in Colombia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

For one I'm not ruling it out; I'm not familiar with that species. The rusty color doesn't match a Great Kiskadee in my opinion, but as I stated I'm not familiar with other similar species in Colombia.

I know for sure this is not a Great Kiskadee. But you said you agree with Social Flycatcher. How come? Rusty-margined Flycatcher is more common around Bogota, especially this time of year.

I believe this is not a Social Flycatcher but is instead is a Rusty-margined Flycatcher. Not the stronger dark facial pattern, brown versus olive back, rufous margins to the primaries, and the bird lacks the hint of white wingbars found in the edgings to wing coverts in Social Flycatcher. 

However, juvenile Social Flycatchers can look very similar to adult Rusty-margined Flycatcher so they are best distinguished by voice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

I know for sure this is not a Great Kiskadee. But you said you agree with Social Flycatcher. How come? Rusty-margined Flycatcher is more common around Bogota, especially this time of year.

I believe this is not a Social Flycatcher but is instead is a Rusty-margined Flycatcher. Not the stronger dark facial pattern, brown versus olive back, rufous margins to the primaries, and the bird lacks the hint of white wingbars found in the edgings to wing coverts in Social Flycatcher. 

However, juvenile Social Flycatchers can look very similar to adult Rusty-margined Flycatcher so they are best distinguished by voice.

As I said - I agreed with Social Flycatcher because among the birds that I'm familiar with that's the one it looks like. I am NOT at all familiar with Rusty-Margined Flycatcher or any other possible similar species in Colombia, as I made clear from the beginning. So I have nothing more to add to this conversation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok. Thank you @Aveschapines. I hear you. I was simply wondering if you saw a compelling reason for Social Flycatcher versus Rusty-margined Flycatcher from the photo provided.

I'm still curious if any others on this thread or on the forum can speak to the ID of this bird as the two species in question are VERY similar in appearance. Personally, I am leaning strongly towards Rusty-margined.

@ajaxbirds Is there any way you could contact the guide? Often times you can email them after a tour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Yes, also a Social flycatcher would have a red crown patch. Not yellow 

Hmmm,... the plot thickens ?  Here is a 3rd pic.  From this vantage point the crown looked more red/orange ?    Any new thoughts ?

_60A07991111@0.1x.jpg

Edited by ajaxbirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I have made clear from the beginning I have no experience or knowledge of similar Colombian flycatcher species (including Rusty-Margined) so I can't offer any more assistance. I will say I've never seen a Social Flycatcher raise a crest like the last two pictures show. But I'm not going to get into a discussion of a species I have absolutely no knowledge of or experience with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just getting back to this thread now. From Birds of the World;

Nominate race has head mostly dark sooty or ­blackish brown, large bright yellow to golden-orange coronal patch (mostly concealed)...upperparts plain brown to olive-brown; wings deep greyish brown, dull olive margins on inner secondaries, narrow rusty or cinnamon-rufous edges of distal secondaries and proximal primaries, primaries with narrow paler rufous margins; tail dusky brownish with light olive edging; 

I agree with @Aaron about the coronal patch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...