Whatbird Community

42 minutes ago, sbruenjes said:

Last question from me.. These birds, with a white bar extending the length of the wing, would be greater scaup, right?

Lesser scaup - Liberty State Park, NJ.JPG

These are still lesser scaup. The bright white would extend into the primaries on a greater. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, millipede said:

added question... without seeing the white wing patch, how do you rule out surf scoter in the first pic? How do you confirm white-winged?

The feathering on the bill extends in front of the eye farther than it does on top, making the white patch in front of the eye wide. Surf scoters have the feathering extend farther on the top of the bill, with the white in front of the not able to be wide. @Tony Leukering talked about that recently, but I can't remember the thread.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Avery said:

The feathering on the bill extends in front of the eye farther than it does on top, making the white patch in front of the eye wide. Surf scoters have the feathering extend farther on the top of the bill, with the white in front of the not able to be wide. 

I wonder if that could be explained better. I feel like I might be able to interpret the wording but am not 100% certain.

5 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I cannot find the bit about the forward pale facial patch that I posted a bit ago.

8 minutes ago, millipede said:

I wonder if that could be explained better. I feel like I might be able to interpret the wording but am not 100% certain.

Here's the thread I was talking about. @Tony Leukering says what I am trying to say much better, and also has links to examples.

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1