Whatbird Community

Crackling Goose?

Taken Today, Salt Lake City, Utah. Supposed to be common in the area according to ebird data, although it would not seem so according to the all about birds range map. This place is a good birding hotspot in the city but also seems to have some domestic ducks. I have not seen these here before though. If confirmed this would be a first.  Thanks for the help!

Banded - can't quite make out the tag

IMG_9389d.thumb.jpg.3d7ce0d0b7b752fc65873ed63ddd0a41.jpg

another bird. Crackling on the right? - Canada Goose on left for sure. 

IMG_9409d.thumb.jpg.290433ddab12b8e15ee5d7ee4703a931.jpg

5 minutes ago, Avery said:

Beak looks big, but it does have a thick neck. Not sure how you’d separate cackling from it though ?

I thought the same thing. I looked through some ebird photos  and some definitely had smaller beaks but some seemed to be about the same size possibly. There seemed to be some variety, which makes me unsure! 

13 hours ago, AlexGeorge said:

I thought the same thing. I looked through some ebird photos  and some definitely had smaller beaks but some seemed to be about the same size possibly. There seemed to be some variety, which makes me unsure! 

There can be some deceptively small Canada Geese, but the beak on this bird looks too big for a "crackling" goose ?

• Like 2