Whatbird Community

Harlan's Hawk?

EDIT: Since this is often a topic of confusion, I am aware this is a Red-tailed Hawk šŸ˜‚

Thinking Harlan's on this bird since I've never seen this plumage on a classic immature western, but I don't know the range of variation in immatures.

PB291051.thumb.JPG.c2345be42c2199f6f7214002f21af287.JPGPB291032.thumb.JPG.d8e747863049e28eca4353b65d721b92.JPGPB291028.thumb.JPG.1f9e2503fc57fec5d1fc3b585d7d1831.JPG

Edited by Melierax

I'd call this a juvenileĀ intermediate "Western" Red-tailed Hawk. The overall plumage of the bird seems way too warm brown for Harlan's, which are darker, more streaked, and blackish in coloration. Harlan's RTHA often appear much more like a RLHA in terms of plumage;Ā silvery flight feathers, light base to rectrices, and if I am not mistaken, I thinkĀ this bird has molted in at least one adult outer rectrix, which looks like a classic RTHA tail feather to me.Ā 

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

I thinkĀ this bird has molted in at least one adult outer rectrix, which looks like a classic RTHA tail feather to me.Ā 

Sorry, I should clarify that I think it looks good for a Western RTHA (non-Harlan's) tail feather;Ā the eponymous version. A "classic RTHA tail feather" was not specific enough.

16 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

The one relevant photo is not quite good enough to be sure, but it looks as if the black of the subterminal dark tail band does not bleed down the shaft to the tip, so probably not Harlan's.

Okay, that was the field mark I wasn't sure on. Thanks all!