Whatbird Community

Future Birding Trips--New England; Puerto Rico

floraphile

Now that we can see the light at the end of the COVID tunnel, we are planning a couple of trips to visit family (hopefully in the Spring, but, if not, the Fall) and wanted to get some birding in while we are in places removed from our usual environs, specifically New England (primarily RI/MA/CT) & Puerto Rico (primarily Ponce).    If time permits, we may stop at Cape May Observatory and/or Hawk Mtn. PA (we hear the hiking is great!) on the way up or back.   Any recommendations, tips, advice, insight, would be most welcome.  Thank you.  

I can help with coastal New England. 

Barn Island WMA in Connecticut: marsh sparrows, ibis, night-herons, herons, warblers, cool crabs, and LOTS OF BUGS!!!

5 minutes away from that is Napatree Point, which is technically in Rhode Island, but it is great for migrating shorebirds in the fall. 

Massachusetts: https://www.audubon.org/news/birding-massachusetts

As well as asking for good spots, like you did here, also pick out some target species, and see where they are commonly seen around the area you will be!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avery said:

I can help with coastal New England. 

Barn Island WMA in Connecticut: marsh sparrows, ibis, night-herons, herons, warblers, cool crabs, and LOTS OF BUGS!!!

5 minutes away from that is Napatree Point, which is technically in Rhode Island, but it is great for migrating shorebirds in the fall. 

Massachusetts: https://www.audubon.org/news/birding-massachusetts

As well as asking for good spots, like you did here, also pick out some target species, and see where they are commonly seen around the area you will be!

The online bird list of Napatree is terrific!  I've already started my list:  Roseate & Snowy Terns, Boreal Chickadee, Snow Bunting... ❤️ Barn Island WMA looks like a good stop, too.  It got great reviews on the hiking website "AllTrails".  There was one review that stated, "We ran it so bugs were not an issue."  😄  The Audubon link is incredibly useful, as it shows the hotspots on a map of the whole area.   Thank you, @Avery!

• Like 1

@floraphileAlso make sure you look at eBirds bar charts for the places you are wanting to go. The time of year greatly impacts the species you could see. Also, You’ll have to come up into my neck of the woods to find Boreal Chickadee. I’m planning on heading up to Moose Bog in northeastern VT over Christmas break to get the boreal birds. I’ve been twice and missed Canada Jay somehow. Boreal chickadee is one I have yet to actually see, but they are currently irrupting, and are on the mountain tops around me! Now if only I could get motivated to hike...

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avery said:

@floraphileAlso make sure you look at eBirds bar charts for the places you are wanting to go. The time of year greatly impacts the species you could see. Also, You’ll have to come up into my neck of the woods to find Boreal Chickadee. I’m planning on heading up to Moose Bog in northeastern VT over Christmas break to get the boreal birds. I’ve been twice and missed Canada Jay somehow. Boreal chickadee is one I have yet to actually see, but they are currently irrupting, and are on the mountain tops around me! Now if only I could get motivated to hike...

I'll bet you'd love hiking, once you've gone on a few!  I will check out the bar charts!  We've got Vermont on our list of places to visit in the future, so maybe we can check out Moose Bog then.  So many places to bird, so little time!  

3 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I'll bet you'd love hiking, once you've gone on a few!  I will check out the bar charts!  We've got Vermont on our list of places to visit in the future, so maybe we can check out Moose Bog then.  So many places to bird, so little time!  

It’s not that I don’t like hiking, it’s just that I’m lazy ;). Plus, asthma and cold weather don’t mix well.

For birding in VT, most of the birds that can be found in the state can be found in Chittenden County, which makes decisions much easier! 

• Like 1