Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

Tell me In order your top five bird sightings, including rarities, favs, and anything else cool. 

Here are mine, I am in costal orange county, Ca

1. Masked Booby in orange county

2. Albino Northern cardinal on Long Island, Ny

3. Cali Gnatcatcher in orange county

4. American oystercatcher in orange county

5. Brown Booby in orange county

tell yours now!

If you want to add pics you can

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1: Black-legged Kittiwake, Sumner County KS

2: Prairie Falcon, Sumner County KS

3: Yellow-breasted Chat, Aransas County TX

4: Lazuli Bunting, Sumner County KS

5: Tundra Swan, Stafford County KS

I have more, but these are some of my favorite rarities. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Hutton's Vireo. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/269925181

2 Sage Thrasher. https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=sagthr&regionCode=&mediaType=p&userId=USER1188965

3 Dark-eyed Junco. The only record of one in Oklahoma in June. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/244616341

4 Peregrine Falcon.

5 Prairie Falcon.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

1: Black-legged Kittiwake, Sumner County KS

2: Prairie Falcon, Sumner County KS

3: Yellow-breasted Chat, Aransas County TX

4: Lazuli Bunting, Sumner County KS

5: Tundra Swan, Stafford County KS

I have more, but these are some of my favorite rarities. 

 

 

49 minutes ago, Kevin said:

1 Hutton's Vireo. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/269925181

2 Sage Thrasher. https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=sagthr&regionCode=&mediaType=p&userId=USER1188965

3 Dark-eyed Junco. The only record of one in Oklahoma in June. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/244616341

4 Peregrine Falcon.

5 Prairie Falcon.

Nice and nice, I would like it

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Audubon’s Warbler, Washington County VT (I know, I know, but I think it should be it’s own species)

Blue Grosbeak, Lincoln County ME

Whimbrel, Chittenden County VT

Dickcissel, Washington County VT

Black-crowned Night-Heron, New London, CT

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Ruby-throated hummingbird in Shuswap BC. Was pretty cool having it visit my yard and having all those people come to look at her. Rarest bird I’ve found so far, and definitely taught me I should be paying close attention to details!

2. Barred Owlets in Shuswap BC. Just fun to watch and my first real experience seeing owls do something other than sit and look pretty

3. Long-tailed Manakins in Guanacaste Costa Rica. Even though my camera was malfunctioning that day, was super cool seeing these guys. They’re one of the bird species that I always saw depicted on TV in nature documentaries so it was neat to see them in person. 

4.  Ferruginous Pygmy Owls in Guanacaste Costa Rica. One of the birds I really wanted to see when I was down there and it just so happened a pair had their territory right in the backyard of the place I was staying. They were there almost daily, and it was a fun challenge trying to find their tiny bodies amongst the tree branches. My favourite  birds are ones that you can recognize as individuals. 

5. Sage Thrasher in Shuswap BC. This was the first rare bird (location wise, not timing wise) I found. Though I honestly saw it said “ooh that’s new” took some photos and kept walking. Didn’t figure out it was way out of range until later (I think 2nd county record?). Tried to relocate to get better pictures, but never did. Think that was the first instance where I realized that if I could find that, I could find way more. Also made me realize all the things I probably missed before I started paying attention...and the obsession of trying to find as many species as I could at this location was born. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Summer Tanager - county first.  Showed up at my bird bath for a few minutes and gone.  I just happened to look out the window at the right time.  I was less than 6 months into actively Birding.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.3c52fe5fb7479b1383

 

2.  Barred Owl family.  I was watching a couple of adult Barred Owls checking me out when I had a weird feeling I was being watched above my left shoulder.  I looked up and this little guy was staring right down at me.  More here.

2400?__hstc=264660688.3c52fe5fb7479b1383

3.  American Golden-Plover - I made a random turn down a road and came across a flooded farm field.  It was filled with shorebirds.  As I scanned it I saw a different bird and said aloud "That's a Plover!!".  This spot over the next 3 months had 16 shorebirds and 5 county first records (Baird's Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher and White-rumped Sandpiper).  Then the farmer decided to drain it the following year.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.3c52fe5fb7479b1383

 

4.  Happening to be in San Diego for the Birding Festival and signing up for one of the tours.  25 lifers that day for birds I'd have not gotten a chance to see as I was without my own vehicle to drive around.

2400?__hstc=264660688.3c52fe5fb7479b1383 

5.  Air boat in Florida around Lake Tohopekaliga.  I said I would be happy with this trip if I just got to see a Limpkin, a Snail Kite and a Wood Stork.  Wood Stork was at Brinson Park on the Lake, and the other two were on the boat.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.3c52fe5fb7479b1383

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Top 5 of all time is hard, but I made a top 10 of the year for something else if you want to see it.

 

That is what comes of having been birding a larger part of your life that not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Let’s see it!

My Top 10 of the year, in no particular order.
1. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Park, MT), long needed bird that has evaded me for awhile. Finally got looks. 
2. McCown's Longspur (Sweetgrass, MT), cool to see them on the breeding grounds in breeding plumage.
3. Upland Sandpiper (Sweetgrass, MT), another bird that has evaded me, nice looks at them singing on fenceposts.
4. Cassia Crossbill (Cassia, ID) A real local and cool bird. I missed photos/audio unfortunately.
5. Black-and-white Warbler (Marin, CA) Actually found two of these rarities in my home county this year, always fun to see.
6. California Thrasher (Marin, CA) Self-found rarity. Probably only 2 or 3 left in the county.
7. Black-chinned Hummingbird (Marin, CA) Self-found rarity in my yard. First inland record for the county.
8. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Marin, CA) Co-found rarity. Vary rare for the state.
9. Leach's Storm Petrel (San Francisco, CA) Co-found. I guess it's considered a rarity. They breed in tiny numbers on the Farallons, but are almost impossible to find off the islands, especially in summer. The big thing was it was my 400th California Bird.
10. Cassin's Finch (Marin, CA) Co-found, flyover at a skywatch. 300th Marin County bird.

 

EDIT: Replace Black-and-white Warbler with Worm-eating. It was so early in the year I almost forgot about it.

Edited by Connor Cochrane
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

My Top 10, in no particular order.
1. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Park, MT), long needed bird that has evaded me for awhile. Finally got looks. 
2. McCown's Longspur (Sweetgrass, MT), cool to see them on the breeding grounds in breeding plumage.
3. Upland Sandpiper (Sweetgrass, MT), another bird that has evaded me, nice looks at them singing on fenceposts.
4. Cassia Crossbill (Cassia, ID) A real local and cool bird. I missed photos/audio unfortunately.
5. Black-and-white Warbler (Marin, CA) Actually found two of these rarities in my home county this year, always fun to see.
6. California Thrasher (Marin, CA) Self-found rarity. Probably only 2 or 3 left in the county.
7. Black-chinned Hummingbird (Marin, CA) Self-found rarity in my yard. First inland record for the county.
8. Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Marin, CA) Co-found rarity. Vary rare for the state.
9. Leach's Storm Petrel (San Francisco, CA) Co-found. I guess it's considered a rarity. They breed in tiny numbers on the Farallons, but are almost impossible to find off the islands, especially in summer. The big thing was it was my 400th California Bird.
10. Cassin's Finch (Marin, CA) Co-found, flyover at a skywatch. 300th Marin County bird.

Wow, nice list!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarest would be:                                                                                       Coolest would be:

1. Streak-backed Oriole                                                                             1. California Condor

2. Common Ringed Plover                                                                         2. Emperor Goose

3. Emperor Goose                                                                                      3. Zone-tailed Hawk

4. Curlew Sandpiper                                                                                  4. Great Crested Flycatcher 

5. Great Crested Flycatcher                                                                      5. Field Sparrow

Link to post
Share on other sites

My top ten of the year in no particular order. I can decide on my top ten favorite, but not my five favoritethis year, I like them all too much. 

1. Glaucous Gull

32717448_RSCN2429_12-17-202014-33.thumb.JPG.6fb5659a82e7928f538616648590fec0.JPG

2. Lesser Black-backed Gull

971109810_RSCN8213_12-02-202008-54.thumb.JPG.8821fd71a315b66391c0609b7e432aed.JPG

3. Northern Goshawk

Northern Goshawk

4. Long-eared Owl

1692173116_RSCN6133_11-20-202008-23.thumb.JPG.26d4c6759ef8af1b410fd09c495f574d.JPG

5. Black-backed Woodpecker

549821674_DSCN1723_07-12-202009-39.thumb.JPG.6524f15ef92c030a489fde3fa333f113.JPG

6. Black-throated Sparrow

233245764_DSCN1910_07-12-202017-58.thumb.JPG.c6365773bed14030c1c6ce28e033383e.JPG

7. Gray Flycatcher

Gray Flycatcher

8. Dusky Flycatcher

Dusky Flycatcher

9. Canyon Wren

1275019696_DSCN1943_07-12-202018-04(2).thumb.JPG.b322b756edc49191fe0c2f1d8ad47b34.JPG

10. Brewer's Sparrow

455079145_DSCN5512_09-14-202008-37(2).thumb.JPG.4d3509e394b801e436e54d6a51bef13e.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...