Whatbird Community
Dawn

Trying to ID this bird seen in the Borrego Springs desert California

Hi I’m new to this site and hoping someone can tell me what this bird is. I weekend in the Borrego Springs California desert , near the Salton Sea and Mexico border. Today while in the pool this bird landed for a drink. The outdoor temperature was 110 degrees , there were 8 of us in the pool and it didn’t seem to be afraid, even hopped on one guys arm before taking a drink of bottled water we provided. Stuck around most of the day and hung out under a lounge chair for a while. It was no more than 4 or 5 inches in length and hopped right up to my phone for this picture. A friend said she thinks she’s seen this bird  in the Ironwood tree next to my trailer on several occasions .Thanks for your help

4750802F-565B-4B98-8F08-0878B35F2F2A.jpeg

Did turn the contrast up but only 1 click. Curious to know if it’s native to the area or lost. Noticed it has a yellow dot near the base of it’s beak. Is it most likely a male?

Not sure about male or female. I doubt that they nest in Borrego Springs, except at a few areas with water, but this time of year they'd be migrating through.

This is an adult male.  Migrant species can show up almost anywhere in migration.  The species breeds in the lower elevations of the Sierras, not far from the Springs.