Whatbird Community

Hawk ID possible?

28 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I just used the Merlin app and it suggests coopers or sharpie, based on the size I’m now going juv female coopers

Merlin should never be trusted with bird identification... it’s only good for suggestions, and often they are incorrect, and it will sometimes not even show the correct species in its recommendations. 

• Like 1

It seems that the correct ID is Accipiter sp.

Based on the photo alone I would have thought Sharp-shinned but at the time the "apparent" size (first thought was another Red-tailed) and the flap/glide flying pattern had me wondering. I looked at some photos of juveniles and the UTC markings do vary quite a bit, some showing no obvious streaking.

Tried to spot it again today but no luck.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobinHood said:

It seems that the correct ID is Accipiter sp.

Based on the photo alone I would have thought Sharp-shinned but at the time the "apparent" size (first thought was another Red-tailed) and the flap/glide flying pattern had me wondering. I looked at some photos of juveniles and the UTC markings do vary quite a bit, some showing no obvious streaking.

Tried to spot it again today but no luck.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Agreed