Whatbird Community

Blackbird of sorts

I'll go with Brewer's Blackbird. The brown on the head is fine for the species and there is not rust-colored fringes to the tertials or coverts, which would be expected only on Rusty Blackbird. Maybe I'm missing something here but it feels like a Brewer's.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DLecy said:

there is not rust-colored fringes to the tertials or coverts, which would be expected only on Rusty Blackbird

Despite the assertion of such in the NGS guide, this is not correct (see below; photo by Giff Beaton). Besides, the bird in question has at least one obvious rusty-tipped tertial on the left wing and seems to have multiple such on the right wing, though the angle creates interpretation problems there. Regardless, I agree with the ID of Brewer's, as supported by the small, round head and the long tail.

brbl-m-laytonville-mendocinocounty-2-12-14-giffbeaton.jpg

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

Despite the assertion of such in the NGS guide, this is not correct (see below; photo by Giff Beaton). Besides, the bird in question has at least one obvious rusty-tipped tertial on the left wing and seems to have multiple such on the right wing, though the angle creates interpretation problems there. Regardless, I agree with the ID of Brewer's, as supported by the small, round head and the long tail.

From Birds of the World. "In Basic I plumage, some male Brewer's have brown feather edgings similar to edgings of many Basic-plumaged Rusty Blackbirds; this brown coloration never occurs on tertials or wing coverts as it does on Rusty."

I see it. I looked at the original pic on my phone, but see it now. Maybe the word "never" is a little strong?