Whatbird Community

Book for Bird Identification

I am looking for a book that will help me identify shore birds and others that I see and photograph in South Florida. I would appreciate any recommendations. In searching Amazon I saw a book titled "The Shorebird Guide" by Michael O'Brien, Richard Crossley and Kevin T. Karlson and am considering ordering this book. Is anyone familiar with this one, I wonder? Thanks very much for any help.

Bob

I've got the shorebird guide -- it's very narrowly tailored to shorebirds. (That means Sandpipers, Plovers, Stilts, and Avocets, not just anything you see on the shoreline.) It's good, although I'd want something else as well, I think. In general, the two that I would recommend as general bird guides are Sibley Birds, and the National Geographic Guide. Peterson's are good, but I'm not sure what the more recent editions look like.

• Like 1

If you're looking to supplement 'Shorebird Guide' with something else but want something beyond a field guide, I love National Geographic's 'Complete Guide to Birds of N.A.'

https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Complete-Birds-America/dp/1426213735/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NBWCNBE2EWJ5R90DS6AR

The above link is not an endorsement of Amazon and is provided only to describe the book.

• Like 1