Whatbird Community

What kind of sapsucker?

I disagree. Nothing about this bird seems inconsistent with a pure dagetti Red-breasted Sapsucker.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/198227291#_ga=2.43925670.2088161008.1605810651-2133650673.1605810651

Red-breasted Sapsuckers are pretty variable, they can have pretty limited red on the head. That does not necessarily mean it’s a hybrid.

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I disagree. Nothing about this bird seems inconsistent with a pure dagetti Red-breasted Sapsucker.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/198227291#_ga=2.43925670.2088161008.1605810651-2133650673.1605810651

Red-breasted Sapsuckers are pretty variable, they can have pretty limited red on the head. That does not necessarily mean it’s a hybrid.

Why do you think it's not a hybrid? There are some dark areas in the breast, and I'm examining tons of photos of hybrids and they all look closer to this bird than a dagetti, most particularly with the extent of white in the supercilium. I'm not completely sure, but I'd like to better understand your reasoning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Why do you think it's not a hybrid?

It does not have the black breast shield showing through the red on the breast. A hybrid should show this. Otherwise, I think the facial pattern is within range for a pure Red-breasted, although it may have less extensive red than the average Red-breasted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

It does not have the black breast shield showing through the red on the breast. A hybrid should show this. Otherwise, I think the facial pattern is within range for a pure Red-breasted, although it may have less extensive red than the average Red-breasted.

Mmkay... The second and third photos are the ones that could show a black breast shield, and I'm not sure you can see quite enough to say there isn't some black there. I'm just looking at eBird photos of hybrids, and there are plenty that show clear hybrid facial patterns but minimal or blotchy black on the chest. It doesn't have to be a solid black band:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/273892531#_ga=2.44489508.1470592558.1608935090-646883966.1598537587

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/212097781#_ga=2.7723186.1470592558.1608935090-646883966.1598537587

I'm no expert, but I'm not sure that's enough to say it isn't a hybrid. 

Here's a quote off of birds of the world: Dagetti is "Similar to S. r. ruber, but red on head and breast is somewhat duller and more orange, auriculars often with black, and white malar more prominent"

From what I've read, dagetti don't really have white superciliums that often. Even in the photo you shared the comments suggested a possible hybrid. Again, I'm no expert, I'm learning myself here. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 4:22 PM, Melierax said:

From what I've read, dagetti don't really have white superciliums that often. 

From Peterson Reference Guide to Woodpeckers; "S. r. daggetti...head pattern approaches that of Red-naped Sapsucker, sometimes with blackish ear patch and partial white supercilium, prominent malar stripe, and red chest weakly demarcated from paler yellow belly. Back is more heavily marked than that of S. r. ruber, approaching that of Red-naped."

I concur with @AlexHenry that this bird looks to be within the range variation for daggetti. Perhaps there is something going on here that I am not seeing. Is there any other reason you think this is a hybrid other than the white supercilium?

• Like 1