Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
JDA

Please help with a couple Id's

The first one is indeed a Yellow, although the face is a bit odd-looking. The yellow in the tail is diagnostic -- Mourning has a dark tail that contrasts with the undertail coverts.

I don't think 1 is Yellow either. The wing coverts don't have strong edging and the tail looks like one solid color to me. I don't think we can safely judge the color of the underside since it's in shadow. How about Common Yellowthroat?

There should be contrast between the underside of the tail and the undertail coverts, shadow or not. To get that shade on a gray undertail you'd either have to have a strong yellow reflection or some interesting processing work. The wing coverts have very strong edging -- it's broad enough that you have to look closely to see the olive shading in the center of the feathers. Common Yellowthroat would show olive coverts with almost no edging. They also show distinct contrast between the yellow throat and the brown malar -- I don't see that here.

Apparently our monitors are disagreeing -- the tail appears to be the same color as the undertail coverts to me. Are you actually seeing any contrast there?

It looks yellow to me. And for what it may be worth, (I hope this is legal) here is a photo--drab Yellow Warbler--from The Warbler Guide...nearly the same pose and facial coloring

Yellow Warbler from Warbler Guide.JPG

Edited by HamRHead

I’m just saying that I can’t say with any certainty the color of the undertail, because of the lighting. Also, this bird, at least to me, appears to be structurally off for Yellow. The tail seems awfully long...

The tail barely extends past the coverts -- and, as I stated before, even with a shadow you'll still see the contrast between yellow undertail coverts and gray tail on something else. (If it helps, my first thought wasn't Yellow -- I agree that structurally it looks weird. But the plumage doesn't seem to leave any other options -- I'd write off the structure in this case to the angle of the shot.)

Thank you all for assisting me on the Id of this Warbler.  The undertail is definitely all yellow.  I've attached a super cropped version of the above photo in this post.  Even though I would love it to be something other than a Yellow Warbler, I believe that Psweet & HamRHead are correct.  I had posted it in the first place because structurally it didn't look like a Yellow to me as well.  Thanks again!

44760795271_5f38840274_k.jpgWarbler TBID by Johnny-for ID Purposes, on Flickr

• Like 1

The warbler does not have tail spots; ergo, it's not a Yellow Warbler.  It also lacks obvious yellow wing bars, and it's back is way too brown.  This is a Common Yellowthroat.  Mourning Warbler would have longer under-tail coverts.