Whatbird Community

Merlin Bird ID not helping much

For some reason Merlin ID isn't helping with #2 and #3 of these.  Just want to run them by you all to confirm. All taken Dec 28th in Corpus Christi, TX.

1.Lesser Scaup female

2. Eastern Bluebird Female

3. Vermillion Flycatcher

4. Long-billed Thrasher

5.Couch's Kingbird

DSCN5257.JPG

DSCN5482.JPG

DSCN5310.JPG

DSCN5347.JPG

DSCN5467.JPG

Edited by MacMe

1: Lesser Scaup

2: Female type Vermilion Flycatcher, note the dark eyeline and reddish underbelly.

3: correct

4: I believe you are right about this one, but I have little experience with the species.

5: Couchs/Tropical Kingbird. Couch’s is definitely more probable in your area, but they can reliably only be separated by voice.

annnd sniped again, by @Aaron

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MacMe said:

I don't recall the kingbird making any sounds, though there were 3-4 hanging around each other

I listened to some recordings.  Even though I wasn't paying attention to the calls, the trills of the Tropical do not sound familiar.  Also, the relatively long and stout bills of Tropical and Couch's, respectively, both look the same to me. Combine this with the ranges of each species. Unless someone with better knowledge says otherwise I am going to go with Couch's Kingbird

19 hours ago, MacMe said:

Thanks everyone. I don't have anything better on the Thrasher.  I botched the first shot and it didn't hang around for a second shot.  Also, I don't recall the kingbird making any sounds, though there were 3-4 hanging around each other

As for the thrasher, it looks too reddish to be a Long-billed. Brown is my final answer.

• Like 1