Whatbird Community
bjragucci

Need ID for 3 birds in New Mexico

hmmm... Wonder about (2).  Wouldn't a Chipping Sparrow have a brown cap and a darker/black eyeline?

8 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

1. Virginia's Warbler

2. Chipping Sparrow

3. Mountain Bluebird

unless anyone disagrees.

Thank you for 1 & 3 , I'm familiar with Chipping Sparrows, this was bigger, there were quite a few around the area, and they all looked like the one I took the photo of. 

I'm thinking Brewer's Sparrow for #2 -- the lores do look dark, but they're diffuse rather than a continuation of the eye-line. The eye-stripe in a Chipping should interrupt the white eye-ring, this doesn't appear to do so. The malar is awfully strong for a Chipping as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psweet said:

I'm thinking Brewer's Sparrow for #2 -- the lores do look dark, but they're diffuse rather than a continuation of the eye-line. The eye-stripe in a Chipping should interrupt the white eye-ring, this doesn't appear to do so. The malar is awfully strong for a Chipping as well.

Maybe specifically the Timberline subspecies?

2 hours ago, bjragucci said:

Thank you for 1 & 3 , I'm familiar with Chipping Sparrows, this was bigger, there were quite a few around the area, and they all looked like the one I took the photo of. 

If you have a picture, even a bad one, that shows the nape, that could be very helpful.

I wouldn't want to speculate on the subspecies - field guides tend to underestimate the difficulty of doing subspecies ID, and typically don't even illustrate most of them.

9 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Maybe specifically the Timberline subspecies?

If you have a picture, even a bad one, that shows the nape, that could be very helpful.

These are the only two other photos that I have.

DSCN3754DSCN3752

Yes, the clear collar, white central crown stripe, and stronger face pattern on the Clay-colored.  From the two pix that I can see, I wouldn't be sure about the other Spizella, as collar patterns in Chipping and Brewer's can be very similar.