Whatbird Community

2020 Year List  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Species Did You See This Year?

2019 was the first year I seriously birded.  I joined 2 of the nearby counties' Audubon Societies on several field trips, & attended our local BirdFest, so many of the species on my list were shared checklists from trip leaders.  This year, thanks to COVID, I've had to bird solo and have come within 8 species of reaching last year's total.  I am extremely happy with that and hope to have a much longer list next year.  

2 hours ago, BlueJay said:

As I only started birding in late May of this year, my year list is the same as my life list, 124.

Wow, I started birding in late may of this year, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my list is at my life list, which is 116. @Blue Jaywhere are you located? I am in Orange County, Ca?

just wondering which of our county’s have better birding. As I have traveled out of state only once during the pandemic...

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

my list is at my life list, which is 116. @Blue Jaywhere are you located? I am in Orange County, Ca?

just wondering which of our county’s have better birding. As I have traveled out of state only once during the pandemic...

It hard to beat Orange County. I think it might be top 10 in the country. I did do a fair amount of traveling outside my county. I think my Marin County list was 274 this year.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

@BlueJay is from North Carolina, I believe.

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It hard to beat Orange County. I think it might be top 10 in the country. I did do a fair amount of traveling outside my county. I think my Marin County list was 274 this year.

Well,  need to do way better next year. 

2 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

I am in Wake County, NC and I haven't traveled out of the state for birding since I started. I have went to the coast twice though so I didn't exclusively bird only my area.

Yes, I only traveled once to Utah, but did not do any birding though

This year was my first year of “serious” birding, and I never left the state cause you know why...but I did pretty well anyways all things considered, with 258 species. Should be able to get into the 300s and maybe the 400s this coming year, depending if I get to visit relatives in south Texas or not! 

30 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

This year was my first year of “serious” birding, and I never left the state cause you know why...but I did pretty well anyways all things considered, with 258 species. Should be able to get into the 300s and maybe the 400s this coming year, depending if I get to visit relatives in south Texas or not! 

I went to south Texas this year, got 60 lifers in one week! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Like a few others in this thread, I only started birding this year. I've got a few one-off entries from March and April but really started in late May. Got to 182 for the year (and life) with 131 in my state of Washington. Hoping for a much higher number next year.

I got to 261. 

Sorta cheated though, as I was already in Costa Rica for the start of the year, so that added 77 species. (I'm technically supposed to be there now😢)

139 for Alberta, 130 for my city, and then 147 for my Cabin area in the Shuswap. 

Honestly, I should have been able to make it to over 300, but I sorta fumbled my Calgary/Alberta birding. Lots of locations fairly close to me where I could have added many species to my life & year list, but for whatever reason did not go to! Also didn't chase many birds... The one I was going to chase, a Great-tailed grackle (2nd province record I think) within the city, got killed before I was able to get back to find it. I also missed Calgary's main fall migration window as I was away in BC (not as many warblers n things migrating through there). Which is funny, as this year was a city wide big year competition, so I know I definitely did not come close to first! 

This was my first full year with ebird as well. Thinking I probably missed a few birds due to inexperience, especially when to comes to calls!

I'm gonna try to get over 300 for 2021, which should be do able. Got to just get out more to explore my city and province! If all goes well, I'm supposed to be heading out to Nova Scotia and Costa Rica, so that should help. 

There's 4 chaseable birds in the city right now: Mountain bluebird, Long-tailed duck, White-winged crossbills, and an Annas hummingbird (poor guy), so I guess I'll make an effort to find at least some of those. 2021 is definitely going to start out a lot slower on the birding side compared to 2020. 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:33 PM, neilpa said:

Like a few others in this thread, I only started birding this year. I've got a few one-off entries from March and April but really started in late May. Got to 182 for the year (and life) with 131 in my state of Washington. Hoping for a much higher number next year.

I got 182 as well!

• Like 1

I only started 'majorly' into birding at the beginning of this year. So I got to 185 this year. The only trip I made was to Middle Creek WMA. All the rest were in Franklin County, PA near home, since I don't have a driver's license yet.

• Like 1