Whatbird Community

I can't tell if the color is accurate in the pic...  how about a Forster's tern?
I went and compared on All About BIrds and I'd definitely lean away from Roseate... The tip of the bill and the dark trailing edge on the wings possibly point to forster's...
But, I'm not expert(or even good) on terns.
Foster's and common would be the most common there though.

• Like 1

Just now, millipede said:

I can't tell if the color is accurate in the pic...  how about a Forster's tern?
I went and compared on All About BIrds and I'd definitely lean away from Roseate... The tip of the bill and the dark trailing edge on the wings possibly point to forster's...
But, I'm not expert(or even good) on terns.
Foster's and common would be the most common there though.

I know. That crazy thought just shot through my head and I had to voice it. Stranger things have happened.

Medium sized tern ID is rough, especially in breeding plumage, but this feels good for a Forster's Tern to me. Note the long tail, more stout bill with lots of black on it, the amount white in the gape is more(ish) than in Common, the bird is pretty white below (not gray), the underwing pattern is not COTE, and the webbing in the tail seems right for FOTE (dark inner webs versus dark outer webs on COTE). 

• Like 1