Whatbird Community

My experience with young Sandhills are they don't have that much brown on their neck and head.  Head shape looks off.  Sure looks a lot like the Sibley painting of Common Crane, but I have no experience with them, just lot of Sandhills.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Young Sandhill confirmed.

Thanks for your input. For learning purposes, how did you eliminate Common? This bird’s head shape and posture looked different than a Sandhill in the field, and the tan head isn’t like anything I’ve seen in a young Sandhill before. I don’t have any experience with Common, but I found a pic of a similar looking bird. 

https://www.birdguides.com/gallery/birds/grus-grus/988993/#

I doubt anyone on this forum (except maybe Tony and some of the true experts) would be able to identify a juvenile Common Crane with any confidence.

It does look interesting and is perhaps worth looking into but it’s above my pay grade.

The question is not whether it looks like a Common Crane, the question is whether you can conclusively rule out it being a Sandhill Crane. Which you probably cannot.

• Like 1

This is a Sandhill Crane...although Sandhill x Common Crane is a known hybrid that has been recorded in N.A., I assume that ID is much more difficult in juvs.

According to Howell, Lewington and Russell, Common Crane is 15% larger than Sandhill and has a shorter, stouter bill (compare with the photo you linked) and in juveniles the rust staining in is limited to the head. I would say with relative confidence that this is a Sandhill Crane.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this is diagnostic at all, but every photo I’ve come across of common cranes in the Macaulay library with this plumage, has an obvious orange/yellow bill. 
Yet, sandhills have both the orange and the silver as seen in these photos.

I’ve yet to find a photo of an immature common crane with a silver bill. 
Just an observation however. 

• Like 1