Whatbird Community

Your Most Reported Birds of the Year

Aaron

On my iPhone, Ebird is installed and associated with my account, but it isn't showing any checklists or trip summaries, presumably because I don't use mobile for submissions.  I just use the notes app and submit everything from my PC later.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Any chance you have updates disabled?

Nope, I even just updated the app manually to be sure. Still nothing about trips that I can find. It's not that big of a deal to me, since I use ebird more often on my laptop.

• Like 2

So are we saying the mobile app summarizes ONLY what entered on that individual device, that there's no method to summarize checklists across your account for more than a month at a time?

Not that I'm personally interested in whatever I've seen the most of.  I'm more interested in the capabilities of the applications than the numbers they may generate!

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

So are we saying the mobile app summarizes ONLY what entered on that individual device, that there's no method to summarize checklists across your account for more than a month at a time?

Not that I'm personally interested in whatever I've seen the most of.  I'm more interested in the capabilities of the applications than the numbers they may generate!

That's my understanding. That the feature that is being talked about only works for info entered onto the ebird mobile app, even if your accounts are linked across devices.

• Sad 1

Just to clear a few things up:

Firstly, eBird mobile for iOS has the Trip Summaries feature, eBird mobile for Android does not. This is a long-time gripe birders have had with the eBird app. I'm not sure why the inferior OS (fact, not opinion) has this feature while it has yet to be implemented in Android. Typically the Android versions of eBird get the new features months before iOS but this feature has not been offered in Andriod yet.

Secondly, Trip Reports has not been added to mobile yet, and it's different than the Trip Summaries feature. I hope someday that both features will be implemented into the mobile app on all OS platforms. Also, as Kevin said, Trip Reports has a maximum length of 31 days. So if you take a months-long vacation or job somewhere cool and want to have all that in one space, you can't yet.

Trip Reports will be improved, though. I was involved in its development before it was released to the public and soon you should be able to have them openly viewable to other eBird members on your eBird profile eventually, if you desire. Until then, you can only share a link to an individual trip report. But you will notice in your trip report settings that there's an option to have the report public - that's there for when public trip reports go live.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Is there a way of downloading our data from ebird that would achieve this? I can't figure it out - only gives the counts for the species the first time it was seen in the time period, rather than totals.

Yes.  Go to My eBird.  Look for 'Download data' at the bottom of the left column.  After a few minutes you'll receive a zipped .CSV file of ALL your data.  You can open it in Excel, and slice and dice like Razorbills in a sardine school.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I knew it would be Crow/Mallard for 1/2, but I'm surprised I reported more geese than wigeons. I've given top 20 here because Junco should come in ahead of HOFI, if I'd had the courage of my convictions from the start of the year. Surprises are how few White-crowned sparrows I reported, and how few Song Sparrows, as I think of those as being the most prevalent in each half of the year here.

American Crow 4035
Mallard 1545
Canada Goose 1150
American Wigeon 915
Glaucous-winged Gull 835
European Starling 722
Black-capped Chickadee 655
Barrow's Goldeneye 637
Pine Siskin 620
House Finch 545
American Robin 507
Song Sparrow 402
Bushtit (Pacific) 370
Snow Goose 306
Dark-eyed Junco 275
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 273
White-crowned Sparrow (pugetensis) 249
American Goldfinch 234
Red-winged Blackbird 224
Spotted Towhee 212

Thanks to @Charlie Spencerfor the instructions on finding the data, and to pivottable for making extraction easy.

Edited by PaulK
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yes.  Go to My eBird.  Look for 'Download data' at the bottom of the left column.  After a few minutes you'll receive a zipped .CSV file of ALL your data.  You can open it in Excel, and slice and dice like Razorbills in a sardine school.

You posted that too late, as I spent the time to go through all of my checklists and make my own spreadsheet. 🙂  Wasn't terribly time-consuming though.  I've only been submitting sightings to Ebird since January 17th of this year.  Here are my stats for 2022 so far:

34 Checklists.

Top 10 submissions:

White Ibis 409
Turkey Vulture 255
Muscovy Duck 248
European Starling  190
Fish Crow 55
Boat-tailed Grackle 52
Common Gallinule 50
Mottled Duck  45
American Coot 45
Egyptian Goose 34

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, we sliced and diced alright, for two hours. My mom finely had to call her dad, who is an absolute genus on anything electronical(He was building computers as a kid, and he has done such things for a living all his live), any way, we had trouble removing the dates and just have the years, for some reason, it would change it to 1905 every time.🤷‍♂️ So he finely found a new formula, and that one worked.

1. Sandhill Crane, 10026.
  2. American Robin, 9264.
  3. Pine Siskin, 8580.
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Well, we sliced and diced alright, for two hours. My mom finely had to call her dad, who is an absolute genus on anything electronical(He was building computers as a kid, and he has done such things for a living all his live), any way, we had trouble removing the dates and just have the years, for some reason, it would change it to 1905 every time.🤷‍♂️ So he finely found a new formula, and that one worked.

1. Sandhill Crane, 10026.
  2. American Robin, 9264.
  3. Pine Siskin, 8580.

If you have excel installed here's an easy way of doing it:

1. open the file in excel
  2. make sure you've clicked somewhere in the data, and press Ctrl+T to turn it into a table. Ensure that the checkbox saying My table has headers is checked, and click OK
  3. click somewhere in the table, then click on the insert tab on the ribbon, click PivotTable (should be first icon on the left), make sure it's opening in New Worksheet, click OK
  4. that'll give you a weird looking window with a bunch of options on the right. You want to drag the fields from the list into the different sections. I did as follows: Date into Filters, Common Name into Rows, and Count into Values
  5. Then you have to play with it a bit.
    1. You'll have a column called Count of Count, which counts the checklists you've reported the species on. Right click on one of the numbers, go down to Summarize Values By, and choose Sum. The column name will change to Sum of Count.
    2. Then to sort by those, right click on one of the values in the same column, choose Sort, and go Largest to Smallest
    3. Then you can filter by year. Go to the very top, where you should have Date in the left column, (All) in the next column, with a little triangle in a box. Click the triangle and it'll give you a filter menu. Check Select Multiple Items, type 2021 where it says Search, OK. You may then need to sort the count column again.
  6. Voila!

@Charlie Spencerthis is a good example to play with it for the first time. I'm not very good with it but can do this kind of basic stuff.

Edited by PaulK
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, PaulK said:

that'll give you a weird looking window with a bunch of options on the right. You want to drag the fields from the list into the different sections.

Yeah, that's where I get confused.  I can never figure out which fields go to which sections.  I can follow someone else's instructions, but I don't understand the logic behind what I'm doing so when I try something new on my own, the results are out to lunch.  I have to find 'PivotTable for Dummies', I guess.

(And I'm a network administrator.  Geez, the guy in Purchasing across the hall from me can get results with it.  Sad, man; just sad.)

Edited by Charlie Spencer

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yeah, that's where I get confused.  I can never figure out which fields go to which sections.  I can follow someone else's instructions, but I don't understand the logic behind what I'm doing so when I try something new on my own, the results are out to lunch.

(And I'm a network administrator.  Geez, the guy in Purchasing across the hall from me can get results with it.  Sad, man; just sad.)

I'm acting like an expert here but this is literally the first time it worked for me on the first try!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Then you can filter by year. Go to the very top, where you should have Date in the left column, (All) in the next column, with a little triangle in a box. Click the triangle and it'll give you a filter menu. Check Select Multiple Items, type 2021 where it says Search, OK. You may then need to sort the count column again.

I haven't used excel much, but I under stand basically what you are saying. Our problem was getting ride of the month and day, well we could get ride of it, but then it for some reason also changed the year to 1905. It is fixed now.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I haven't used excel much, but I under stand basically what you are saying. Our problem was getting ride of the month and day, well we could get ride of it, but then it for some reason also changed the year to 1905. It is fixed now.

Excel's date formats are weird little buggers.  It doesn't help that sometimes you'll enter a number but it thinks you've entered a date, so it automatically changes the cell format from 'Text' or 'Number' to 'Date'.  If you're not watching for it, it can be confusing.

• Like 1

For what it's worth there's something funny about the encoding for the dates here, and the 1905 thing is apparently really common. There's a fix in converting into text format if you google it. But generally speaking it's easier to always put your data into a table, and then use the built in filters to do this stuff in my experience.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulK said:

if you google it.

That's what we did. It just took us some time to get to that point, I tried to do it, then mom tried to do it, then grandpa tried to do it, and with that skype was cutting out on us and we were having trouble with that.

• Like 1