Whatbird Community

Remember that I can shoot video instead of a series of 'left to right' still photos.  It just never occurs to me.  It may not be useful for picking out individual species in a large mixed flock, but I won't know until I try.

In support of that goal, learn how to shoot video in the first place.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Remember that I can shoot video instead of a series of 'left to right' still photos.  It just never occurs to me.  It may not be useful for picking out individual species in a large mixed flock, but I won't know until I try.

In support of that goal, learn how to shoot video in the first place.

I wouldn't recommend that. Video is a bit more complicated than just a string of photos taken by the camera- because of bitrate limitations there is compression (unless you're shooting on a very very expensive camera), meaning if you try to separate it out into frames it will probably be a blurry, pixelated mess.

4 hours ago, Hasan said:

I wouldn't recommend that. Video is a bit more complicated than just a string of photos taken by the camera- because of bitrate limitations there is compression (unless you're shooting on a very very expensive camera), meaning if you try to separate it out into frames it will probably be a blurry, pixelated mess.

I wasn't think of breaking into frames, more like just pausing it to see what I can spot.  I had a large flock of mixed waders a couple of years ago when video might have been handy, or some occasions when birds were bathing in rain puddles.

What's the worst that can happen, I can try it and decide it doesn't help me?