Whatbird Community

10 hours ago, DLecy said:

Interesting. That must be an individual choice by your regional reviewer. Many of the 'sp.' around here are flagged as rare too, but 'passerine sp.' isn't.

As for the recording, have you put it out to this group already? If so, can you shoot me the post so I can take a listen? I may have already taken a crack at it, but am not sure if I did or not. Thanks.

Here in Canada, passerine sp isn’t marked as rare either for every county I’ve been to. I guess they just do things differently down there. Initially I was wishfully thinking that maybe I’d get an email from the reviewer in Costa Rica saying “your birds a ___” as they’d have to review it, but think that ship has sailed.

I did post it back in November: 

It’s very weird. Part of me isn’t 100% sure it’s a bird.

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey!  Those were half of my Lifers!!  

I like the April 1st checklists.  Usually a respected birder, so you have to double-take on it.  I fell for one a few years ago.  I’ve forgotten the bird, but it was a doozy.  Almost grabbed my stuff

HA! Now we know who that guy is! Shoulda guessed. 

Posted Images

Full disclaimer: I am a bit of a "grumpy old man" when it comes to eBird posts (I would not post a "new" sighting for myself or a hotspot without a backup photo for a year or so until I was more confident of my ID skills). Several recent postings of Trumpeter Swans (which I know to be immature Mute Swans) are a little frustrating, mainly from an eBird data perspective for my favourite location.

I just noticed this recent posting for my county (in an urban setting) and wondered - is it my suspicious nature or not? It could very well be an extremely experienced birder - I have no idea. I am guessing that the birds listed do not require a review as there is no backup. If suspect I guess there is really no effective way to stop this.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S80083818

A recent post seemed to confirm that suspect reports can be deleted by the local reviewer but probably most of them fly under the radar, or can everyday eBirders flag suspect postings (either individual species or full postings)?

I am feeling better already.

56 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

A recent post seemed to confirm that suspect reports can be deleted by the local reviewer

This is done VERY rarely, and for good reason.

57 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

can everyday eBirders flag suspect postings (either individual species or full postings)?

Yes and no. You can flag incorrect or suspect media (photos and audio), but not an entire checklist. If you have the contact information for your local reviewer(s), you can reach out to them, include the checklist, and give your rationale for why the posting is erroneous. 

• Like 1

That checklist, as it’s marked incomplete might just be for a general area of birds seen over the day. Yet, they put stationary and included a time for an hour so.... maybe not. Hard to believe 3 owls were just there in an hour! 

Either way, not as bad as if it was submitted as complete. 

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

This is done VERY rarely, and for good reason.

I have no problem at all with the rationale for this. Our local reviewers tend to, understandingly, stay at arms length so not readily easy to contact. In the scheme of things I don't think this is a significant issue - probably magnified when you (I mean I) focus on an area of particular interest. Thanks for the feedback.

30 minutes ago, Aaron said:

That checklist, as it’s marked incomplete might just be for a general area of birds seen over the day.

One hour time period and just one of each species, difficult to decipher so who knows.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RobinHood said:

One hour time period and just one of each species

Do you ever see just one Chickadee?

As for the Owls, I only have four on my whole life list.

Edited by Kevin

The devil's advocate part of me: They might have just not wanted to count. 

The rational part of me: If your not going to put any effort in, why eBird at all? You are doing the opposite of contributing.

The birder part of me: You are gaining absolutely zero respect from the community by doing this. Stop it or do the right thing

Slightly off-topic, but how do you report media as incorrect? When I click the flag to report it, the only option it gives me is for offensive or inappropriate content. Isn't there supposed to be another option for incorrect ID?

image.png.e9120059850dec6c5fe0fb2d8b844502.png

29 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Slightly off-topic, but how do you report media as incorrect? When I click the flag to report it, the only option it gives me is for offensive or inappropriate content. Isn't there supposed to be another option for incorrect ID?

image.png.e9120059850dec6c5fe0fb2d8b844502.png

You can only flag for incorrect identification once you hit a few criteria.

27 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

You can only flag for incorrect identification once you hit a few criteria.

From The eBird Review Process:

"Media Reviewers, including volunteer regional editors and any eBird observer with 25 or more complete checklists, have the ability to "flag" an incorrect report and suggest the correct ID in the comments. This is done by clicking on any photo or recording, then clicking the "Report" flag in the lower right corner. If you cannot see both reporting options any media item associated with an eBird checklist, you may have fewer than 25 complete eBird checklists, or the item may have already been reported."

I definitely have more than 25 complete checklists, and this happens with every media I try to report, so I can't imagine every single one has been reported already. What are the other criteria?

6 hours ago, Colton V said:

From The eBird Review Process:

"Media Reviewers, including volunteer regional editors and any eBird observer with 25 or more complete checklists, have the ability to "flag" an incorrect report and suggest the correct ID in the comments. This is done by clicking on any photo or recording, then clicking the "Report" flag in the lower right corner. If you cannot see both reporting options any media item associated with an eBird checklist, you may have fewer than 25 complete eBird checklists, or the item may have already been reported."

I definitely have more than 25 complete checklists, and this happens with every media I try to report, so I can't imagine every single one has been reported already. What are the other criteria?

I saw this recently and I wondered if they got rid of this feature and forgot to update that page.  A few years ago our other account was allowed to flag observations after submitting 100 complete checklists in one year.  Now with our two new separate accounts (BN #2 submitted a complete checklist every day of 2020) nothing has happened and we can't flag observations on those accounts... 🤨

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I just checked and I can still flag incorrect species. 

I can still flag on my old account, too.  But our new accounts (joined in 2020) can't for some reason.  I wonder if it's a bug.

3 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I can still flag on my old account, too.  But our new accounts (joined in 2020) can't for some reason.  I wonder if it's a bug.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you switch accounts?

On 1/30/2021 at 12:42 PM, RobinHood said:

I just noticed this recent posting for my county (in an urban setting) and wondered - is it my suspicious nature or not? It could very well be an extremely experienced birder - I have no idea. I am guessing that the birds listed do not require a review as there is no backup. If suspect I guess there is really no effective way to stop this.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S80083818

This looks to me like she's trying to generate a background life list and didn't know how to do it properly to avoid mucking up the data, and only included the entries that easily popped up in the filter. A quick google of her name along with ebird didn't bring up anything else for her, which isn't really good evidence but it's all I've got. That's my best guess anyway. 

3 hours ago, Avery said:

@The Bird NutsI just got an email from eBird saying that they’ve raised the bar for people to flag checklists to 100 complete checklists on the account. That explains why you can still do it on your old account. 

It was 100 complete checklists years ago (see my previous post).  But that doesn't explain why we can't flag on our new accounts. :(

10 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It was 100 complete checklists years ago (see my previous post).  But that doesn't explain why we can't flag on our new accounts. 😞

Well, it’s definitely 100 checklists now. They said it used to be 25. Do you have 100 on your new account?

10 minutes ago, Avery said:

Well, it’s definitely 100 checklists now. They said it used to be 25. Do you have 100 on your new account?

I can't tell if I made it on my account (there is no way to find out), but BN#2 had at least 366 in 2020.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

As a test case I was going to flag some recent Trumpeter posts which are in fact immature Mute Swans.

The only option available when I click on the flag logo next to the photo is "offensive or inappropriate content". Presumably this means I can't suggest incorrect IDs or am I missing something?

Can you only flag a suspect ID post if there is a photo with it?

Still lots to learn about eBird!!

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

Can you only flag a suspect ID post if there is a photo with it?

Yes, only observations with photos can be flagged with the "Wrong Species" button.  Other observations without photos can be reported to a reviewer if you can find their email address.

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, only observations with photos can be flagged with the "Wrong Species" button.

The posts in question have photos but this option is not available for some reason - just the "offensive or inappropriate material" one.