Whatbird Community

In flight, the difference between the appearance of the legs in Greater Yellowlegs versus Lesser Yellowlegs is the same as between Black-crowned Night-Heron and Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

In flight, the difference between the appearance of the legs in Greater Yellowlegs versus Lesser Yellowlegs is the same as between Black-crowned Night-Heron and Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

Do you think these birds can be IDd on that basis? I studied this page but cannot arrive at a conclusion--https://www.birdzilla.com/bird-identification/id-skill-development/comparisons-of-similar-bird-species/comparison-of-lesser-and-greater-yellowlegs.html.

It was a large flock...40 or more. I suspect Florence related. Unfortunately a bit distant. Thanks.

Yellowlegs in flight 2.JPG

Greater Yellowlegs flocks tend to be small and individuals within the flocks to be fairly dispersed.  Lessers fly in large flocks that are relatively tight.  Not tight like peep/Dunlin/Sanderling/etc. flocks, but tight for yellowlegs.  Also note that the legs look very long and seem to extend well beyond the tail.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, Tony Leukering said:

Which beggars the question, "What's the difference in the appearance of the legs in flight between BCNH and YCNH?"  :classic_blink:

13 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Which beggars the question, "What's the difference in the appearance of the legs in flight between BCNH and YCNH?"  :classic_blink:

In flight, the two species are not all that similar.  Black-crowned is a chunky, squat bird with short, wide wings and short legs.  With those short, wide wings, their wing beats are quick and choppy.  Younger ages -- the brown birds -- are just that, brown.  Yellow-crowned is a long, relatively more-slender bird with long, narrower wings and long legs.  Their wing beats are slower due to that length, and look less-hurried, more eagle-like.  Younger birds -- the brown birds -- are gray and they sport an American Bittern-like wing pattern, with very dark remiges contrasting with the much lighter wing coverts.

5 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Thanks for the links. And I'm not sure he meant to "beg" the question either, which does not mean to "raise" a question, but rather is a type of logical fallacy: begthequestion.info/ :classic_wink:

9 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

In flight, the two species are not all that similar.  Black-crowned is a chunky, squat bird with short, wide wings and short legs.  With those short, wide wings, their wing beats are quick and choppy.  Younger ages -- the brown birds -- are just that, brown.  Yellow-crowned is a long, relatively more-slender bird with long, narrower wings and long legs.  Their wing beats are slower due to that length, and look less-hurried, more eagle-like.  Younger birds -- the brown birds -- are gray and they sport an American Bittern-like wing pattern, with very dark remiges contrasting with the much lighter wing coverts.

And if I'm understanding you correctly, the Greater Yellowlegs in your comparison corresponds to the lanky yellow crowned night heron?

20 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

I could care less  :classic_wink:

Okay, so the Yellow-Crowned extend farther.  I've never (knowingly) seen either in flight, just perched.  Thanks!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

And if I'm understanding you correctly, the Greater Yellowlegs in your comparison corresponds to the lanky yellow crowned night heron?

The reverse, actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1