Whatbird Community

Wild Turkeys? Nope, Wild Guesses!

Cherry Grove Beach, northeastern SC.  Jan 3rd, 2021.

The bird is headed from right to left and slightly away from us.  It flapped constantly and rapidly, like a duck would.  This was over a tidal creek, although the bird remained over 50 feet up while it was visible.  Loon?  (The bird, not me.)  Cormorant?  Purple-spotted Snorklewhacker?

Thanks.

image.png.bf7bed879a6a30588746a6f687d5db61.png

image.png.13115aae5da937478527be5137a9ff43.png

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

How many birds in the new year so far?

If I'm reading eBird correctly, 21.  It took me a few seconds to find it because I don't track multiple lists - county, state, month, year, astrological house, vehicle driven, home / away games, how my eggs were cooked, etc.  Life list is the only one I pay attention to; any others are too much like work.  I check the count for one hot spot regularly to see the total species count for the site, not what I've notched there.  I look at another couple of hot spots and yard count maybe a couple of times a year, if / when  I remember.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

If I'm reading eBird correctly, 21.  It took me a few seconds to find it because I don't track multiple lists - county, state, month, year, astrological house, vehicle driven, home / away games, how my eggs were cooked, etc.  Life list is the only one I pay attention to; any others are too much like work.  I check the count for one hot spot regularly to see the total species count for the site, not what I've notched there.  I look at another couple of hot spots and yard count maybe a couple of times a year, if / when  I remember.  

This link should take you to your year list. https://ebird.org/MyEBird?cmd=lifeList&listType=world&time=year

14 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Looks good for cormorant.

I have to disagree, it is definitely a Purple-spotted Snorklewhacker. The shape is diagnostic, also note the purplish hue and that white spot.

Edited by Kevin

13 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Yeah, that's what it is for sure. I've seen hundreds of them over the years, just didn't know what their name was!!

then the random songbirds that fly over high up always are called, the terrible lighting dark enemy songbirds for a birders identification! 

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

then the random songbirds that fly over high up always are called, the terrible lighting dark enemy songbirds for a birders identification! 

That's not what I call them, but what I call them will get me kicked off this forum.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

This link should take you to your year list. https://ebird.org/MyEBird?cmd=lifeList&listType=world&time=year

Thanks, although I'll probably forget that before I'll want it again!

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

That's not what I call them, but what I call them will get me kicked off this forum.

Thanks, although I'll probably forget that before I'll want it again!

my ebird year list is at 48, but the actual year list is at 57....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Cherry Grove Beach, northeastern SC.  Jan 3rd, 2021.

The bird is headed from right to left and slightly away from us.  It flapped constantly and rapidly, like a duck would.  This was over a tidal creek, although the bird remained over 50 feet up while it was visible.  Loon?  (The bird, not me.)  Cormorant?  Purple-spotted Snorklewhacker?

Thanks.

image.png.bf7bed879a6a30588746a6f687d5db61.png

image.png.13115aae5da937478527be5137a9ff43.png

Did you have some Wild Turkey before you took the photos? 😅 Pour me a glass and I should be able to ID the bird for you. 🤣

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't track multiple lists - county, state, month, year, astrological house, vehicle driven, home / away games, how my eggs were cooked, etc.  Life list is the only one I pay attention to; any others are too much like work. 

I do the same thing...for me, it takes all the fun out of birding if I have to devote more time recording sightings than I do hunting for birds. And, I'm one of those ''migrating rarities'' [aka a feather-brained idiot, to some] that only counts a bird that I have a decent identifiable photo of. I've been birding for a long time [55+yrs] but, I've only had a camera since 2007, so my photographic life list is not very high [138] considering the amount of time I've been birding. I've lived in a few states too; MO, IA, NE, WA, OR, and AK, so I have seen many different species. When I lived in Alaska on Kodiak Island, I borrowed a camera from a friend and was able to get some great photos of Tufted Puffins in the rocks along the Chiniak Highway.  Unfortunately, the ''old-school'' film was accidentally exposed, ruining all of the pictures.  Sadly, I never got a chance to get my hands on another camera while I was there. 🙂

Edited by lonesome55dove
  • Like 1

And, I'm one of those ''migrating rarities'' [aka a feather-brained idiot, to some] that only counts a bird that I have a decent identifiable photo of. I've been birding for a long time [55+yrs] but, I've only had a camera since 2007, so my photographic life list is not very high [138] considering the amount of time I've been birding.

Excuse my asking, but why would you only count the birds that were photographed? Why not count the ones you see but didn't have a chance to snap a shot at? 

31 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

I'm one of those ''migrating rarities'' [aka a feather-brained idiot, to some] that only counts a bird that I have a decent identifiable photo of.

I mostly count lifers only when I can identify them myself.  Eight other people could see the same bird and tell me it's a Triple-quilled Ratcatcher but if I can't make the ID for myself live or from photos, I'll skip it more often than not.