Whatbird Community

Odd mallard?

You can think of a domestic ducks like domestic dogs. Most domestic ducks are mallards, but there are different variations or breeds created through selective breeding to creat ‘pure breeds’ of animals that look (and sometimes behave) a certain way. Such as in dogs, how there’s German Shepard’s and Chihuahuas, yet they are all actually the same species. So crossing a Chihuahua with a Dachshund may produce a weird looking Chiweenie, but genetically it is still a Canis familiaris, or even Canis lupus (as dogs are technically the same as wolves)  

Musocvy ducks are a different species of duck from mallard, as both have wild ,genetically different, forms. Domesticated muscovies also have their own variations or breeds like mallards do. 

So even though both are domesticated, it is still a hybrid as the two are different species.
If you were to breed a domesticated white mallard with a normal wild type mallard, the offspring would still be just a mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) but with domestic genes. 

In eBird, I don’t think hybrids are recognized  as a species and don’t actually count towards your life list.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IKLland said:

do you think I should count mall x Muscovy hybrid on my life list?

This link might help you in your list making decisions, @IKLland. It's the ABA's guidelines/rules for submitting lists, which, unless I am mistaken, are the same guidelines that most serious birders follow when counting or listing birds. I'm not one of those serious birders, I'm a bird watcher not a bird counter/lister, but I'm sure those that are listers/counters will correct me if I'm wrong. ABA rules/guidelines are the standard in the birding community.

https://www.aba.org/aba-recording-rules-and-interpretations/

13 hours ago, IKLland said:

Thx. So how can you tell a pure domestic mall from a hybrid?

do you think I should count mall x Muscovy hybrid on my life list?

I hope you got the answers to your other questions.  I could be wrong, but I've never seen a domestic Mallard with an eyering; that is a Muscovy trait.  But it has more of a Mallard shape and lacks the red skin around the bill of a Muscovy.  So, yes, I think it is a domestic Mallard, domestic Muscovy hybrid, but I can't rule out pure Muscovy because I don't know much about them.  It is probably best to report it on eBird as duck sp. and write in the comments that it is a domestic.  This duck is not countable to your lifelist.